Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
No way of judging if it was up or down with that wind are you kidding.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hunt two areas Oakland and Wexford. Shot counts for both areas are way down. I did hear a few more shots in Wexford last night.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Just heard more shots today in the first hour than all of the first two days of gun. Hillsdale

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I have a theory...

I would bet that alot of the reason people heard less shooting was due to tagging out early and lousy weather the first 3 days. License sales are up somewhere around 9 % but early october we were up well over 30% pushing 40%.......that means alot of people who typically hunt november hunted early october. our success rate is roughly 50% so half likely shot a deer of some sort. Those earlier hunters may have killed their deer and decided to skip the high winds and rain for gun season. We also had many people skip deer camp because of covid this year.

Were we hunted on crawford county state land I would say we definately saw less people and shot count was typical for most years. My son hunted about a mile from me near an area that is typically loaded with people. He was one of 3 cars that parked there the first 3 days of season. The other two cars had two families.....they all stated they were shooting anything they saw. I think those two families did most of the shooting we heard on day two and day 3. I also think most people hunting state land in our area killed deer from what i saw.

Our camp had 4 hunters and killed 3 bucks. 1 was just before the opener during archery. The one hunter who wasnt successful saw bucks and passed small ones.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
In Marquette Co. I heard slightly more shots than normal, but this was due to shots coming from a direction I rarely hear them. Must be someone new.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Dickinson - 11 Shots opening day and generally 3 shots or less per day since then. Deer sightings have been the lowest we have had in 26 years. We attribute this to widespread illegal baiting around us which is going completely unenforced by the DNR.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Montmorency County, private surrounded by miles of more private. I don’t keep count but shots were way down, maybe 1/2 normal. Buck tally from some area camps is in line with that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No basis to judge in Isabella/Midland counties (first season actually hunting), but have certainly seen quite a few people - not ridiculous though (more during archery I felt). We've got one of the highest conversion rates in MI in this area, but I would say I've been surprised how few shots I've heard compared to what people told me to expect and what I've heard from home in previous years. Been more shooting at the local range. That said haven't seen a lot of deer since rifle season started either.

I wonder how much of that take was off private land/landowner population control versus public land?
The total also included bow season. I am sure some of that were land owner tags.
I know when I tried to drop my deer off they had a pile of about 100 deer waiting to go in that were dropped off in the last 24 hours.

I will say after the 19th I have not heard a shot. That is not abnormal. All private land and all crops are off.

DU Member

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
way down, I always got out on opener with a bow just to hear the activity. For some reason after a few shots, I get geeked thinking the noise will get something moving, or maybe i am just excited or somebody else

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Way down in my area of Osceola as well. A "good" opening day is around 300 shots heard - I think I heard 27 all day (weather probably being the largest factor.) The next day with better weather had about 30 shots in the morning.

Today I'm around 10 so far.

Reactions: Justin

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Beginning of gun I was hearing 30+ shots a night around me during the last hour of light. Now it's down to practically nothing. Of course, I'm also not really seeing any deer lately either while still seeing a lot of hunters, so that could be part of it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
Heard less than a dozen shots opening day in eastern Manistee Co. Heard a dozen the first hour of day two, probably because the snow that fell overnight made it easier to spot deer. Slowed down a lot since then, 0-3 shots per day.

·
Registered
35,284 Posts
It’s about normal for this area. About a dozen rifle shots opening day then tapered off.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Way down. Including my son inlaw and myself shooting I can count all shots heard where I hunt in benzie and leelanau cos on two hands. 100% a tribute this to lack of snow and a crazy big acorn crop up here. Deer can go where ever they want to feed in the big woods with no real rhyme or reason. Me personally, I’m a spot and stalk hunter 95% of the time. The lack of snow has really hampered that. A whole lot harder to spot bedded deer when everything is the same color in a see of log jams.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts