Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a short reed call. Never owned one before and there is a bunch out there. Only goose call I am familiar with is a flute.Get kinda winded with the flute though.Would prefer acrylic and something that's not overly difficult to blow. We hunt primarily over water.Got a couple months before early goose to get up to speed on one.
Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
I have my personal preferences, but each person is a bit different in what they like in a call. If you can blow one short reed well, you should be able to run any of them. However, you will find calls which you like the best based upon internal design.

With the proper tuning, you can make just about any call suitable for water hunting scenarios. With that said, by design, some calls will be better suited for water hunting as well.

If you are just starting out on a short reed, my advice would be to start out slow. There is no reason to spend $100-$150 on a call that once you become proficient, you may not like that much. I would recommend picking up a quality poly carbonate call and start from there. They are much cheaper in price than their acrylic counterparts, but don't sacrifice quality of sound. I'd also pick up Basic Grammar and Bad Grammar from Molt Gear. Start with Basic Grammar and then move on.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
I have my personal preferences, but each person is a bit different in what they like in a call. If you can blow one short reed well, you should be able to run any of them. However, you will find calls which you like the best based upon internal design.

With the proper tuning, you can make just about any call suitable for water hunting scenarios. With that said, by design, some calls will be better suited for water hunting as well.

If you are just starting out on a short reed, my advice would be to start out slow. There is no reason to spend $100-$150 on a call that once you become proficient, you may not like that much. I would recommend picking up a quality poly carbonate call and start from there. They are much cheaper in price than their acrylic counterparts, but don't sacrifice quality of sound. I'd also pick up Basic Grammar and Bad Grammar from Molt Gear. Start with Basic Grammar and then move on.

Hope this helps.
X2 if you can run one u can run em all. You may run one better or worse but u should be able to kill geese with any of em. And yes pick up a cheap one. Less frustrating when u can't get a tune out of a 20 dollar call vs a 130 dollar one. And its not cause it was cheaper on why the sound won't come out right. Quack heads goozilla is good. Lynch mob has a poly and so does smoke both around 40 bucks. Both run excellent and make me wonder y I spent more for a acrylic lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
X2 if you can run one u can run em all. You may run better or worse but u should be able to geese with any of em. And yes pick up a cheap one. Less frustrating when u can't get a tune out of a 20 dollar call vs a 130 dollar one. And its not cause it was cheaper on why the sound won't come out right. Quack heads goozilla is good. Lynch mob has a poly and so does smoke both around 40 bucks. Both run excellent and make me wonder y I spent more for a acrylic lol
We actually do not have a poly call, but we do offer our executioner for $60 if you call the shop...this is an all acrylic call with our x-factor guts in it.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
We actually do not have a poly call, but we do offer our executioner for $60 if you call the shop...this is an all acrylic call with our x-factor guts in it.
What's ur call In at jays that's like 48 bucks its a law maker I believe. I thought the guy there said it was a poly??

Smoke isn't a poly either. I forget what made of but its tough as nails.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Acrylic is LOUD, and I don't particularly care for it over water. I have two of Smoke's calls, one in cocobolo and one in acrylic, and the cocobolo sees all the work over water or when near a woods. The acrylic gets heavy use in open field situations or very windy days.

I've tried about 20 different short reeds, and if there is one thing that I can say is that not every call fits every caller. We are all slightly different anatomically and what works for one guy may not work for another. I do believe that as one becomes more proficient with calling they learn to temper the air flow better, thus allowing them to use "lighter" calls.

To start though, I would get one that takes a bunch of air...until you learn to tone it down a bit. I started on a Mick Lacy Chinook and for $25.00 at Cabelas, it was a good starter call.

Take this for what it is worth, I am no champion goose caller (not even close) but if you can cluck...and moan...you can kill geese.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Hope this helps.
:yeahthat:

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Smoke isn't a poly either. I forget what made of but its tough as nails.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that Smoke has only had one goose call that was poly. I'm not sure if he still has them, but he made a specialty call for MDHA. The call had a custom engraved wood barrel and I believe a black poly insert. I could be wrong on the insert, but I'm pretty sure it was poly.

Guys get way too hung up on the fact that a call is made out of poly. There is nothing wrong with poly at all. Heck, a few years ago the World Goose Calling Championship was won using a poly Super Mag. Enough said on the merits of a poly call.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just posted a Money Maker by Zinks in the classified in you want to give that a try, but like the others have said I would try some thing cheaper first. I have this $160.00 dollar call for sale(for $100.00) but still have my $20.00 Buck Gardner that I will use till this one sells. If anyone is interested give me a shout for a photo. [email protected]

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that Smoke has only had one goose call that was poly. I'm not sure if he still has them, but he made a specialty call for MDHA. The call had a custom engraved wood barrel and I believe a black poly insert. I could be wrong on the insert, but I'm pretty sure it was poly.

Guys get way too hung up on the fact that a call is made out of poly. There is nothing wrong with poly at all. Heck, a few years ago the World Goose Calling Championship was won using a poly Super Mag. Enough said on the merits of a poly call.
He had one I ran at the sag bay show last year. I don't think it was poly but something else. Or a super tough poly cause he was like here try this you will never break it the things tough as nails. Ran great I just wanted a wood one.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
How come that call isnt offered on the web page? I think itd be a nice option for the beginner to start out with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
AdamBomb,

We only do it through phone orders, because once we sell out we wont be doing them anymore, just too many calls in the line up and we had to cut one out. Although it is a great call, and for $60 its a heck of a deal

The call at Jays is a Lawmaker, made out of Acrylic, and was a special deal we did with Jays.

If you guys are interested in the Executioners or have any questions, please feel free to call me up at the shop, 734-848-2501. If you cant reach me, leave a message and I will return your call. If you call, I can let you know what colors we have available. Thanks for your guys' business and continual support of a local company.

-Adam

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
AdamBomb,

We only do it through phone orders, because once we sell out we wont be doing them anymore, just too many calls in the line up and we had to cut one out. Although it is a great call, and for $60 its a heck of a deal

The call at Jays is a Lawmaker, made out of Acrylic, and was a special deal we did with Jays.

If you guys are interested in the Executioners or have any questions, please feel free to call me up at the shop, 734-848-2501. If you cant reach me, leave a message and I will return your call. If you call, I can let you know what colors we have available. Thanks for your guys' business and continual support of a local company.

-Adam
Thanks Adam guess I should have picked it up that was cheap lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appreciate all the input fellas! Went with a Goozilla and the basic grammar cd,has duck talk on it which a nice bonus. Checked out several Michigan made call companies that I had no idea existed. Lots of great options out there when I in the market for something else. Will be bird dogging for the local call guys if and when the situation ever comes up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts