Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own two .300 win mags. I think the 300 wsm is going to survive but I think the 243 wssm may die. Which short mags do you think are going to die, which are going to survive or possibly phase out there long actions?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I will guess that all of the WSMs, WSSMs, and SAUMs will fade into obscurity. Availability of ammo and brass will be the issue. I agree that the 300WSM has the best chance of the bunch, but I don't ever see it replacing the long action magnum. Ammo and brass for the 7RM, 300WM, and 338WM should always be available due to the quantity of firearms in existence.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Well ... not everybody is terribly fond of belted cartridges! Try to imagine sizing a case where you have to adjust the die for every single one, trying to just bump the shoulder but not too much. The shoulder bump being necessary so the belt fully fits into the chamber groove. So much for neck sizing only! Of all the "short" iterations out there, the 270 WSM, at least ballistically, should have folks scrambling to buy one. Unfortunately, with the bullet, brass and ammo manufacturers losing the battle to keep up the supply, you're probably right. For the near future anyway, only the top sellers will survive.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
None of them. IMO short mags fixed a problem that didnt really exist. The .300wsm seems to be the most popular of them, (witch ballisticaly speaking doesnt make any sense) so if one survives i think that would be it.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I say the 300 wsm will definetly stay. not much difference in ballistics to the wm and its short action which is a hands down winner.

the 7wsm is a fantastic round but not as popular.

over time I would hope ppl come to their senses and switch to the short actions, just because grandpa used a 30-06 or 300wm doesn't mean its the greatest thing. shoot short actions for awhile and you wont want to go back. until you hit calibers like the 338 lapua there isn't much reason to shoot a long action any more.

some ppl use the excuse of loading long and mags but I've never had an issue.

excuses, been doing it that way for 60 years, it works....well guess what, so do the short action rivals. only reason ppl haven't jumped ship is availability of ammo and used guns.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Between the 7mm RM, the 7mm WSM, the 300 Win Mag and the 300 WSM, there's barely 1 1/2 g of powder capacity difference. That's why I thought the 270 WSM would sell like hot cakes ... over 12 gr more capacity than the standard 270! Yet again I've been proven wrong!

PS ... limige, I've been saying the same thing about the 1911 but ...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I was looking the other year for something in the 30-06+ category. That's how I ended up with my 300WSM. I normally use a smaller round for deer hunting, and even on a bear hunt.

I've thought a bit about out West with a friend on an elk hunt, but so far haven't spent the $$ to go.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With the number of 1000 yard records being place nearly every other month, I don't see the cartridges going away and being that the 30 calibers can make a good parent case if some smaller bores are unavailable I think the 30 calibers in RSAUM and WSM are here to stay. Now, what will still be chambered in a factory rifle 10 years from now... who knows. Guess that would depend on advertising, luck and the economy.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
yeah the 270 wsm is what I was thinking of, not the 7wsm.

I got my 300 wsm on a trade, and i'm keeping it for the sole purpose of long range elk hunting out west. its a tack driver, took no time to get 1/2 moa loads out of it.

like I said, ammo availability is the number one reason.

now I found a piece of 243 wssm brass at the range and it looks pretty sweet, I think that would be a neat novelty gun to have. my 6.5 cm is my main Michigan hunting rifle and my 22-250 for varmints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts