Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a city that prohibits discharge of firearms in my neighborhood. I also live near Lake Michigan. I came home with a loaded muzzleloader(primer removed) last weekend. I want to empty it by shooting it. It would be convenient to empty it by walking out past the Lake Mich shoreline(on the ice) and shooting it into the Lake. Is this legal? Does the city's jurisdiction extend beyond the shoreline? I called the local police to ask but haven't received a response, causing me to think they don't know the answer.

Thanks

Butch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
If it is an inline ML just pull the breech plug and push the sabot out. If not, just head for the GH state game area. I know it is legal to shoot beyond the L. Michigan shoreline in the city limits of Muskegon. As long as you meet all of the other requirements such as safety zone. GH is whole other scenario though. I'd wait to hear from the local authorities.

Good luck,

Scott
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
I know of no law that would prohibit the discharge of a weapon on the waters of Lake Michigan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Boehr, what about using lead on the water? Would it not be a problem because he was not hunting?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
Non-toxic is only required for when you are hunting waterfowl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Butch said:
I live in a city that prohibits discharge of firearms in my neighborhood. I also live near Lake Michigan. I came home with a loaded muzzleloader(primer removed) last weekend. I want to empty it by shooting it. It would be convenient to empty it by walking out past the Lake Mich shoreline(on the ice) and shooting it into the Lake. Is this legal? Does the city's jurisdiction extend beyond the shoreline? I called the local police to ask but haven't received a response, causing me to think they don't know the answer.

Thanks

Butch
There is always New Year's Eve, just don't shoot it into the air.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
618 Posts
Do you think they put a New Years Eve exemption in that ordinance? :tsk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. Boehr, your answer seemes a little cryptic. Do you know whether city limits, and/or city ordinances, extend beyond the Michigan shoreline into Lake Michigan? This seems like a straightforward 'yes' or 'no' question. If you don't know, that's okay(it's not your responsibility to know this, I realize), it's just frustrating when the local LEO's don't return my call for several days.

Sol, thanks, I think you're right that city jurisduction ends at the waterline of Lake Michigan but I just want to be sure. I doubt the answer varies from town to town. As for your other (good) suggestions, unfortunately, my sabots fit too tight to push out and it's a 40 minute round trip to the state game area, so if it's legal to shoot it off in the lake across the street I'd rather do that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
That's the best answer I can give you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Butch: You pushed the sabot the length of the barrel, surely you can push it another couple inches if you have a ML with a breech plug and clean up will be much easier. Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
uncletj said:
Do you think they put a New Years Eve exemption in that ordinance? :tsk:
No, I'm sure there is no exemption written into the law; but a gunshot at mid-nite is likely to be ignored on New Year's eve. Much like a bottle rocket on the Fourth of July or a football board during the Super Bowl.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,562 Posts
Another similar question I have on this is can I discharge my ML after shooting hours when I'm done hunting that day? It certainly might raise suspiscion of shooting after legal hunting hours, but is it legal to do so?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
If you do it right as shooting hours end then you would not have a problem. For example, say shooting hour end at 5:15 pm and you empty it at 5:16, no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
boehr said:
If you do it right as shooting hours end then you would not have a problem. For example, say shooting hour end at 5:15 pm and you empty it at 5:16, no problem.
Which reminds me: I was out on the last day of ML season and kinda figured I was the only one crazy enough to still be hunting. Along comes closing time
(where in Michigan does it end at 5:16 :confused: ) and I heard a half dozen shots from various directions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
618 Posts
answerguy8 said:
No, I'm sure there is no exemption written into the law; but a gunshot at mid-nite is likely to be ignored on New Year's eve. QUOTE]

Probably not, but you suggested the person knowingly violate an ordinance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
answerguy8 said:
Which reminds me: I was out on the last day of ML season and kinda figured I was the only one crazy enough to still be hunting. Along comes closing time
(where in Michigan does it end at 5:16 :confused: ) and I heard a half dozen shots from various directions.
30 minutes after Sunset could be 5:16
Also the multitude of shots you heard were probably hunters discharging at the end of season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Danatodd99 said:
30 minutes after Sunset could be 5:16.
Where?
Danatodd99 said:
Also the multitude of shots you heard were probably hunters discharging at the end of season.
Yep, that was what I was trying to indicate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Danatodd99
30 minutes after Sunset could be 5:16.


Where?
Anywhere the sun set at 4:46


Technically speaking, I think For example means just that.
That is what Boehr said isn't it ?
For example, say shooting hour end at 5:15 pm and you empty it at 5:16, no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Danatodd99 said:
Anywhere the sun set at 4:46


?
Except that doesn't happen in Michigan.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top