Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know that I'm a member of the Shiawassee Flats Citizen's and Hunters Association at St. Charles, which is the group that provides a lot of time, manpower and money to keep Shiawassee River SGA operating. The DNR has set November 8th, pm hunt as a youth priority hunt there. So I'm organizing an event for the youths...a bbq lunch, some gifts to give away, and volunteers to guide them on their hunt if they need help. I saw what some of you have done up at Fish Point for the youth hunt...this will be similar. Typically they don't get a ton of youths for the annual hunt, so we're trying to boost the attendance and get more youths interested. So hopefully we'll get a good turnout that day.

I'm shamelessly soliciting donations of any kind...shirts, hats, calls, etc. for the cause. The shirts that the MDHA had done for the Bay City Waterfowl Festival a few weeks ago were outstanding. Any and all donations will be accepted.

For those of you who plan on bringing youths to that hunt as SRSGA on 11/8, look for more info regarding this special event on this and other websites, as well as posters in the DNR office at SRSGA. We will also be distributing a flyer at the SFCHA banquet in a couple weeks to spread word.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Should be a lot of birds around then and some pretty good fields.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of you guys know approximately how many yunguns they've had show up for this regular season youth thing in the past? I have to figure out how much chow, gifts and such to have :dizzy:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't have to. I will scout it out from Oct. 10th until the day of the hunt. Probably have anywhere between 2 and 6 youths that will want to participate.
I know I can count on all of you regulars there to help out. Honestly I don't think we'll get a huge rush of youths, unless it's REALLY nice weather. But then again, a lot of kids would be a good problem to have. I'd have to call out everybody I know that has a boat :lol:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I didn't even know about this, I'll probably bring my two kids to this:cool:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't even know about this, I'll probably bring my two kids to this:cool:

They have one or two every year at each of the managed areas, but you have to really read the fine print in the waterfowl guides to find out about it. That's why we're gonna try to advertise this one up a bit to try get more kids involved in the sport. if the weather is decent, we should get a good turnout. if it's cold and rain/snow, I may be eating a lot of hot dogs all by myself :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts