Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thanks Phil Karrow for a WONDERFUL hunt this morning! Also a big thank you to the SFCHA for this wonderful program and all the volunteers! I had a lot of fun and we had some good shooting with the ducks and a group of 3 geese working our spread! Now the only problem is---I WANT A BOAT! Thanks Just Ducky for all the work you do to put this together!

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he is a great guy! And seems to be a GREAT asset to the flats! He ceratinly knows where and what around there! And we even picked LAST and I think did the best of all around!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Glad you had a great time. Yes, as Shi Kid said, Phil is one of the most knowledgable and down to earth guys in the association, so you got a good one ;)

And while I appreciate you calling me out personally, all I do is play "matchmaker" for this program. It's really all the volunteer guides like Phil and Shi Kid (the list is long...we had nearly 20 volunteers this year for 36 hunts) who make this work. They all willingly take complete strangers out on the flats with their equipment with the main intent of introducing some new people to managed waterfowl hunting, and the hope that they come back to one of them at some point. That's the idea of this program.

Thanks again for the post ;)

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
The place will do that to ya. Did a guest hunt last year, had a blast, plotting a return.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
The place will do that to ya. Did a guest hunt last year, had a blast, plotting a return.
most who participated in the guest hunts have said the same thing. And frankly one of the things we're trying to show people is you don't necessarily need all the "tricked out" boats, with winches and mud motors. Sure, that helps you get around, and access some areas you might not without it, and the volunteers normally have all of that. But I still do a lot of trips with my old square back canoe and little kicker motor, and there are walk-in areas too. The idea is just to show what's out there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most who participated in the guest hunts have said the same thing. And frankly one of the things we're trying to show people is you don't necessarily need all the "tricked out" boats, with winches and mud motors. Sure, that helps you get around, and access some areas you might not without it, and the volunteers normally have all of that. But I still do a lot of trips with my old square back canoe and little kicker motor, and there are walk-in areas too. The idea is just to show what's out there.
I will try to make it back out-maybe as a single-and try to walk out before they flood the whole fields! But then it would be easier to drag my enourmous sled in the water! Maybe I can get a trolling moter on my sled and get out that way!!! HAHA!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Some people who've done the guest hunt have kids who went too. Nothing like using them to tell mom how dad needs a rig to do it all out there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Completely agree. I have been able to enjoy every field in Shi for the last 20 yrs running a square back and a 4hp engine. Just have to be smart with boating and everything is accessible.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Completely agree. I have been able to enjoy every field in Shi for the last 20 yrs running a square back and a 4hp engine. Just have to be smart with boating and everything is accessible.
and a little more work. I often pretty much empty the canoe to pull it over, but it's a few extra minutes...no big deal. ;)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Some people who've done the guest hunt have kids who went too. Nothing like using them to tell mom how dad needs a rig to do it all out there.
Maybe next year we'll use that as an advertisement for the program, encouraging more youth involvement? :lol: "bring a kid...get more boats/gear!" :evilsmile

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I might have to try the guest hunt there next year. I have only been there once we never fired a shot swore I would never go back.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Join the crowd. Been there plenty of times when I never popped the safety off ;) It is, afterall, hunting. There are good days and bad days. Some of the guests this year have had very slow hunts...I've heard of several. But the shooting is only part of experience. As I said, it's more about introducing people to managed area hunting. Many hunters have never seen a managed waterfowl area, so they just don't understand how it works, what's involved, why these areas are good to have, etc. Fortunately most of our guest hunts have included shooting at least a few birds too ;)

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I enjoyed my hunt even though I never lifted my gun it was great seeing the place and knowing what is needed. It was well worth getting up at 1am can not wait to go back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts