Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to get lucky with a AM opening day draw. Invited two friends who have never been to a managed area. Are the daily area permits still sold at the draw?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
They did away with the annual and daily fees when they redid the licensing system last year. Most if not all managed areas also sell what licenses you need too. Congrats on the lucky drawing and may you have more luck on the daily draw. Steve

·
Registered
693 Posts
Would get the licenses ahead of time though as it will be busy in the morning and they make you wait until after the draw to purchase. You will want to get afield. The new license structure actually saves waterfowlers that purchased the annual pass and it allowed a lot of funding to the managed areas.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
yes, buy all your stuff prior to showing up. be prepared. being a newbie is one thing....a prepared newbie is much better.

get your zone and get going as opening morning is a clusterbomb in the parking lots. you will need every minute available to get into your zone.

and this is not directed at original poster....more in general for all the managed area pre-register hunters.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Be efficient in launching. If you have a front drive Equinox and the launch is clay and you can't back a trailer up, you're going to get yelled at. If the guy with a canoe drives past all the guys in line to drop off his canoe and doesn't need to use the launch, don't yell at him.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Be efficient in launching. If you have a front drive Equinox and the launch is clay and you can't back a trailer up, you're going to get yelled at. If the guy with a canoe drives past all the guys in line to drop off his canoe and doesn't need to use the launch, don't yell at him.
Launch etiquette and common sense seem to be few and far between.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I see 9-14 and 55-60 won't be flooded for the opener. Also, 1-5 and 30's will be closed. Kind of limits you somewhat. My friend has a draw for the youth hunt and 2nd day afternoon. I told him I imagine the dry fields will still be good. Does anyone have an idea? I know the geese are hitting the fields but not sure on ducks. He is starting to get bummed as he doesn't know the rookery, woods or river zones b

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That is why they only alow 35 parties now instead of 55 like in 09 when we drew near last and had to take a dry field on sunday morning. We did get a couple chances and took home 2 ducks but I was pretty disappoited.

On the other hand he has two afternoon draws on opening weekend. Time for some exploring and maybe learn a new area or two. If he has a handheld gps he should use it and not worry about finding his way out. Or just be careful and pack up and leave quickly so its still light out. Steve

·
Registered
575 Posts
I see 9-14 and 55-60 won't be flooded for the opener. Also, 1-5 and 30's will be closed. Kind of limits you somewhat. My friend has a draw for the youth hunt and 2nd day afternoon. I told him I imagine the dry fields will still be good. Does anyone have an idea? I know the geese are hitting the fields but not sure on ducks. He is starting to get bummed as he doesn't know the rookery, woods or river zones b
When they say those fields won't be flooded, does that mean that they won't be fully flooded, or no water at all?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Sounds like he needs to take someone who knows the area.

·
Registered
559 Posts
thats good to know. Any idea when they will be flooded or opened? Also can I ask how you found that out? I am new to area (always hunted private or federal goose) and want to learn more about the state side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts