Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Shooters and Reloaders,

Can someone please tell me the approx. shelf life of factory loaded rifle shells if kept dry? Would like to get grandson involved in shooting and have found several boxes of 30-06 factory and reloaded shells. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If kept dry it's good for a llooonnnggg time.... I'm still shooting 06 ammo from the 60s and 7mm mag ammo that has reload dates from the late 70s...

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I have personally shot amo that was fifty plus years old.

·
Registered
36,059 Posts
Your Grandson will enjoy shooting your ammo when he is retired.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
A good friend who passed away two years was still shooting ammo that he loaded just after the war in 1946-1955, I have some shotgun shells from the late 50's and 60's that still go boom.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
"... have found several boxes of 30-06 factory and reloaded shells ..."

As you can tell by the responses, packaged factory ammo has a VERY long shelf life. Personally, I would be a tad leery about those reloads you "found" though. Without written info as to the powder and bullet used, COAL and powder charge, I'd probably disassemble it and begin again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleew, those reloads I found were done by me, all data is written on the boxes and all shot fine in 1987.

"... have found several boxes of 30-06 factory and reloaded shells ..."

As you can tell by the responses, packaged factory ammo has a VERY long shelf life. Personally, I would be a tad leery about those reloads you "found" though. Without written info as to the powder and bullet used, COAL and powder charge, I'd probably disassemble it and begin again.

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
I have a few boxes of Winchester paper BB's that still shoot great. I just wish I could use them on geese as they are way better at 50 years old than the steel we are stuck with at killing geese stone dead.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've still got some of my dad's 30 remington factory loads that are significantly older than I am. My dad also shoots his old reloads (60-70s) when he finds em. A bunch of his ammo these days keeps getting dug up in Poland (Tin cases of 7.62x54R bought on ebay)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have shot 1000's of rounds of shotgun, rifle and pistol shells that were 30 and 40 years old. Never had a problem with them going off. Always stored in cool and dry area and visually inspected prior to shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts