Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed 4 new things this year:
1. My first sharptailed grouse in Michigan.
2. The reg book stating there was no open season on 'em.
3. A spruce grouse..my first in Michigan as well.
4. Nothing at all about 'em in the reg book.

Does anyone know about sharptailed grouse in Michigan? Why there is no season? What is their distribution and population?

I never heard of a spruce grouse in Michigan, but the grouse we saw looked exactly the same as the spruce we used to shoot in Alaska. Acted the same way as well, we had to walk up to it and virtually kick it so it would fly. It was that distinctive blackish color with the red eyepatch. Am I off my rocker here? Does anyone know about spruces in Michigan? Population numbers? Why no season?
Just curious.
Both of these birds were viewed up close in the western U.P.. Do any of you U.P. grouse hunters have identification problems when any of these birds flush?
Huntnut

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Spruce-hens are around in the U.P. but they are rare. They have been protected for as long as I can remember.

Sharptails, on the other hand, were hunted up until a few years ago. Recently their numbers have climbed; most are found in the Eastern U.P. and I'm glad to see them making a comeback. The season closed because (obviously) their numbers were dwindling..... and hunters took some of the blame. I may draw alot of flack for this one, but I agree with closing the season for a few years the way they did. Seems like a handful of guys would hunt sharptails without mercy and were really taking a hell of alot more birds then they needed..... I'm talking 40-50 per year.

The problem is, those same folks will be doing the same thing when the season eventually re-opens. I hope a season limit is imposed; but unfortunately, it probably won't stop some from being piggish.

There are a couple of flocks near where I live that number close to 100 birds. Its good to see them making a comeback.

------------------

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

·
Registered
249 Posts
the michigan wingshooters guide reports that there are scattered populations of sharptails in the central to eastern upper pennisula with a smaller pocket in the northwest u.p. crawford county and a few others in the lower pen also hold these grouse.i wish i would have had this book before i went to the u.p. this last season as i might have known what i initially jummped then when i headed for the sight the first three flushed from my heart woundn't have jumped into my throat as the next three flushed i was hunting ruffs and raised my gun to shoot when the brain told me something was wrong (besides the fact that ruffs don't like grass fields, i was cutting through to the next creek bottom).i dropped the gun and looked harder i beleive it was the pointed tail that told me that aint no ruff but as i watched the birds fly off i also heard a kuk kuk kuk noise and there wings seemed to be outlined in a white light.back at the local diner that night i was informed i had seen my first sharptails.i was delighted even went back to flush a few more to get to see this bird it was the highlight of a great hunting trip to the u.p..!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
wandered around the eastern UP for a couple of weeks this Oct. and didn't hit any sharptails but saw more spruce grouse than I did ruff. A local told me they couldn't be hunted but I don't know for sure

------------------
if it walks, crawls,swims,flys or vibrates-moves, has moved or looks like it might move-WHAM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts