Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first time poster. I’m up in the Eastern UP chasing sharptails for a couple of days. I’m a newbie and I’m dogless. I have great success with ruffs and woodcock without a dog, but this is all new territory for me. There just seems like too much ground to cover for one guy. Any tips on what cover I should be focusing my time on would be appreciated. A sharptail is a bucket list bird for me in Michigan!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Areas of predominantly very short grass with interspersed patches of willow or other shrub cover should hold birds. If I was doing it without a dog I would key on the willow/shrub patches. Maybe start a ways out from a likely patch and work toward it slowly in shrinking circles. The main problem you’re going to run into is the birds blowing out the other side of the shrub patch the second they feel pressure. Tough to avoid when you’re by yourself. That is, of course, assuming they don’t leave dodge when you’re still 100 yards away. Good luck!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Awesome man! Congrats.
Ill be over there tomorrow with a buddy, we hope to have boots on the ground around 2pm (i have to work until 11 unfortunately). I have never really done it before so i dont have any advice, besides it doesnt look like you need any! If you see a dirty black f150 with a grey topper feel free to say hi, names Joe. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to hear the story of the hunt.Did you get close which is tricky to do.
Thanks all!! I got to the location at sunrise and scanned the field with binoculars, I saw a covey of birds flying in and out of a drainage ditch a couple hundred yards out. Using the cover of hay bales, I snuck up to their location. They spotted me when I was probably 40 yards out and a couple birds jumped up into a bush and were watching me, since they had already spotted me I started walking faster toward them until they flushed, and managed to put this one down!

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Thanks all!! I got to the location at sunrise and scanned the field with binoculars, I saw a covey of birds flying in and out of a drainage ditch a couple hundred yards out. Using the cover of hay bales, I snuck up to their location. They spotted me when I was probably 40 yards out and a couple birds jumped up into a bush and were watching me, since they had already spotted me I started walking faster toward them until they flushed, and managed to put this one down!
Used your witts about it.Sly like a fox.congrats!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Went up for opening weekend and hunted with some friends. We had three dogs on the ground. My dog locked up a covey and nobody else was around and I missed with both barrels. I was very disappointed and it was my only real opportunity of the weekend. A buddy got two singles as we pushed fingers of cover after the morning coveys got busted up. We saw probably 4 coveys but that was about it. I had no idea what I was doing and had never done it before.

For anyone else trying: For getting into coveys get out there early, and then again later in the afternoon as they regroup. Around lunch time we would hit up patches of cover that seem too much for them as the singles seemed to go to that until they could find other birds.

I don't know if this advice is good. It is what we decided on doing next year based on how things went this past season for us.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
This weekend was odd because of the weather.
Overall, I would say MI sharptails behave like their cousins further west.

Mixed grassland cover, edged by shrubs, and then contour.

I only found singles.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Heading up today to finish my sharptail season shooting black powder cartridges.
Will start on the north edge, and work toward the Soo, then southerly.
I'm curious about the southeast area of the zone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.