Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys all sharpen your hunting/fishing/general purpose knifes?

I use a block by hand with no jigs or fixtures. Are those sharpening kits really worth it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a gatco knife sharpening kit stones from extra coarse to fine works great. Razor sharp cutting edge when done. And many different angles to choose from on same jig.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I use a "Diamond Wheel"

There was this manufacturing plant that I had once worked for that had a machine shop in it. They used these diamond wheels for grinding down faceings on their products. I used to get them from one of the people after they wore down to the point you could not use them in the machine anymore. There's still plenty of diamond material on them, probably a lifetimes worth for knife sharpening.

I've got enough for 2 lifetimes. ;)

They put down an excellent edge very quickly

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use a kit similar to the ones that Bass Pro Shop uses to sharpen customers knives. It's from Razor Sharp Knife service.
It's basically two laminated cardboard wheels, one has 220 grit silicon carbide and the other is plain that you add rouge(polishing compound) to. They mount to a basic grinder motor.
I have sharpened many knives for friends and family with excellent results. Will shave the hair clean off you.
Once I tried this I put away my Lansky kit FOREVER and wouldn't use it if I had to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chefs Choice 320. I'm with deerslayer, these Chefs Choice sharpeners are very effective and easy to use. My only complaint is that I bought the two wheel, and wish I would have bought the three wheel, which ads a more abrasive wheel.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mine has the three wheels. If you get one, get the one with the wheels. I tried a model with the "orbiting" stones and I didn't like it at all. It didn't work worth a darn.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chef's Choice 120 here also. Bought the thing because of some good reviews I read about it here and extremely impressed with it. Quick and effortless sharpening and puts a sweet edge on.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Chefs Choice 120. My wife keeps complaining " My kitchen knives are too sharp!" I haven't figured out how to respond to that one yet.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Smith's Precision Sharpening Kit. It's just like the Lansky. Has a 'vice' that holds your blade. Stones are attached to rods that slide though guides in the base of the vice. This allows a consistent sharpening angle. The kit comes with coarse, medium and fine grit stones. I processed a deer Wednesday night and re-sharpened my knives this morning in about 5 minutes. I never got the hang of using the old sharpenng stones so, for me, the Smith/Lansky is perfect.

When I get together with my huntin' buddies they always want me to bring my sharpening kit so they can put an edge on their blades.

Good luck,
John E.
Ypsilanti

1 - 11 of 11 Posts