Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here hunt there? Need a place to bow hunt with my kids next year and can't afford a lease. Hunted there once a couple years ago seems like a nice area for state land.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Couple of good areas there. I've seen some good deer in the corner of Sharon Valley Rd and Prospect Hill, east of the shooting range. I saw a nice little 8 point east of the first parking area on Raby rd. north of Sharon Valley Rd. No guarantee he survived the season of course. Then on the south of Sharon Valley Rd. east of Prospect Hill they had corn in some of those fields this past season which made for some decent hunting on the trails coming out of the swampier area and the river. Not sure if they'll be planting again this year.

·
Premium Member
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had planted beans a few years ago.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
We were out there yesterday chasing bunnies. The area holds promise, but I would suggest doing alot of preseason scouting and think about getting as far away from the crowds as possible. We cut few tracks, and some of the best funnels and pinch points we came across still had stands up in the trees. It appears the areas we were in yesterday get alot of attention.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Keep in mind bowhunters rarely hunt on a daily basis mainly concentrating on the opener and weekends. If you can get out there midweek you'll normally find plenty of areas you'll have to yourself. Every inch of these SLP game areas are well known by more than a few people so its just a matter of getting in where you fit in. Good luck to you and yours this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Keep in mind bowhunters rarely hunt on a daily basis mainly concentrating on the opener and weekends. If you can get out there midweek you'll normally find plenty of areas you'll have to yourself. Every inch of these SLP game areas are well known by more than a few people so its just a matter of getting in where you fit in. Good luck to you and yours this season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Having hunted there many seasons, be prepared for company, even during the week. Firearm season is leaps and bounds worse.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We were out there yesterday chasing bunnies. The area holds promise, but I would suggest doing alot of preseason scouting and think about getting as far away from the crowds as possible. We cut few tracks, and some of the best funnels and pinch points we came across still had stands up in the trees. It appears the areas we were in yesterday get alot of attention.
Were you parked off Norvell rd? I thought I saw the same two pickups hopping parking lots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts