Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning my boat after last nights trip, I started thinking about the recent topics and the thankful nature of people asking questions and being almost shocked when getting a truthful, concise answer. This (Sharing Info) topic and the many (often vague) answers to it, have been on boards since I started using the web. Seems there are many reasons given by lots of posters about why not to share info, or the criterion for doing so. Many just say, "PM me, and I'll fill you in." Like the sharing of Nuclear Secrets. So where does this mentality and attitude come from? I think its Primordial.

Back when Saber Tooth Tiger loin cloths were in fashion, you and your tribe literally lived by what you knew and learned in the wild. And sharing any of that knowledge actually threatened your very existence. And the guy who learned and knew the most, became head banana of the tribe and had his pick of the toothless women. :yikes: If you look at it in today's world, very few things have changed. The reasons and parameters have changed, but only slightly. Someone once said, "Knowledge is power." And God forbid giving any of it up. :evil: I'm deeper than most of you thought, hey? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
walleye express said:
While cleaning my boat after last nights trip, I started thinking about the recent topics and the thankful nature of people asking questions and being almost shocked when getting a truthful, concise answer. This (Sharing Info) topic and the many (often vague) answers to it, have been on boards since I started using the web. Seems there are many reasons given by lots of posters about why not to share info, or the criterion for doing so. Many just say, "PM me, and I'll fill you in." Like the sharing of Nuclear Secrets. So where does this mentality and attitude come from? I think its Primordial.

Back when Saber Tooth Tiger loin cloths were in fashion, you and your tribe literally lived by what you knew and learned in the wild. And sharing any of that knowledge actually threatened your very existence. And the guy who learned and knew the most, became head banana of the tribe and had his pick of the toothless women. :yikes: If you look at it in today's world, very few things have changed. The reasons and parameters have changed, but only slightly. Someone once said, "Knowledge is power." And God forbid giving any of it up. :evil: I'm deeper than most of you thought, hey? :lol: :lol:
Your soooo deep you posted this same thread twice!! LOL!!:D

And if you ask, I'll tell you exactly where to go and what to do when you get there.:evil:

Read into that what you will..... now where's that stone axe.... :confused:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waterfoul said:
Your soooo deep you posted this same thread twice!! LOL!!:D

And if you ask, I'll tell you exactly where to go and what to do when you get there.:evil:

Read into that what you will..... now where's that stone axe.... :confused:

My PC only shows it once. So your PC must indeed be deeper than mine. Although I am having posting troubles again.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Well, just like my baits.... my computer is better than yours! LOL!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And while we're on the subject... I have no issue telling anyone what baits I use for Walleye.... but for bass.... don't ask me where, how, when, or with what when money is on the line!! I love my tournaments!!!

Mikesenko

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waterfoul said:
Well, just like my baits.... my computer is better than yours! LOL!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mikesenko

Yup....I do love all them fish pictures you've posted recently. Sorrier...I couldn't resist. :gaga: :evilsmile

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waterfoul said:
You mean pics like this one?? I just can't get out as often as you... but I (we) do catch fish! Fun fun fun!!!

Is that a "RARE" Fremo-saurus? Caught on the Infamous (don't even need hooks) X-Rap? :p :tdo12: :lol: :lol: :lol:

God I really hate sarcasm. But I'm so good at it. :evil:

To bad my original subject can't get debated though. Because it needs to be. :D

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
OK, back on subject then.

I kinda hinted at it... if there is no money on the line for me and my partner, I gladly share info. I'll say it right now, not that most don't already know: My favorite bait for bass is the Yamamoto Senko. There are many versions of the Senko: Gulp makes the Sinking Minnow and I've caught good sized fish on them. YUM! makes a good version of the Senko and they work pretty well. Strike King makes their own version of them and they work great (my second favorite bait perhaps? and they last longer than any other brand). I recently tried Chompers' version and had some success even though the weather was not conducive to good bass fishing that day. And don't leave the dock without a couple white spinner baits either... they are growing on me after catching some good fish in a tourney late in the season (good thing my 14 year old partner likes to cast a lot... he is the one who got me to throw spinners!). Then there's Sweet Beavers and Poorman's Goby's... both good baits.

But, I'm not one to give away my spots on certain lakes. If you wanna know where I fish a lake, join one of the tournaments and come on out!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Waterfoul has beautifully proved the inverse of your question, walleye express. That is, sometimes an individual may give more than the question asks.:lol::lol: Other examples? Any post with the word "Fremont" in it.

In all seriousness, your question reeks of philosophical genious.

I have to say, in most cases, I do not understand why people are so hesitant to give away information, especially specific locations. I do understand that, sometimes, a person may use that information for the wrong purposes, but its been proven that a very large majority of the members of this site are people of integrity, and I seriously doubt many of them would use that information to destroy a fishery.

I know there is the concern that a fisherman would give away a hotspot, only to find that person there every day of the week, taking away an experience that could've been good. I just don't see this as a legitimate reason to withhold information. Perhaps I don't fish enough to realize how important this may be, but I do know that location does not guarantee catching fish.

I think the purpose of this site is self-evident. Give out information to better the experiences of others and benefit from the information reciprocated by others. Maybe its just me, but I feel guilty not giving out information, when I have gained so much the very people I am rejecting.

But maybe I've gone too far already. Maybe I've missed the point of this sport. Isn't catching fish a bonus? Isn't the real joy discovering nature and enjoying the company of those you hold dear? In that sense, I understand the decision to be alone. I can see how one would be hesitant to give out information when, for them, solitude is the sport.

I don't know. I feel like I've just contradicted myself. Excellent post, WE.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
It seems that in general the fishing folks are a happier bunch than the hunting folks but not always that willing to share.
The Fremont Lake thread has been going for some time now (almost so long now its practically worthless :lol: ) and as a "local" you never want to see information posted on your favorite lake or fishing spot. Then I realized the benefit its a give and take situation. Note: House for sale stones throw from Fremont Lake-complete with extra garage for boat storage-:lol: . Just kidding.

The main reason people are so tight lipped IMO is:
by nature peple are selfish
there are many more takers than givers

I personally see no reason not to post whats catching fish and where to catch them (do not need to be that specific). After all thats what most of us are here for. There are only a handful of guys that do this consistently.

the Fremont thread definitely caused increased pressure on the Lake but if the saying is true 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish (and I think it is) I bet I know a good portion of the 10% on Fremont. I do not think the extra fishing pressure caused undue stress on the fish population and cannot see posting information having wide spread negative implications if more information is shared.
And better yet newbies and kids and grandpas maybe able to catch their first fish or fish of a lifetime and thats really what its all about. ;)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Seems odd that this post would be coming from you. The two times that I have bumped into you at the ramp, I asked the universal question, "howd ya do" ?
Well, your response was to look up at me then turn your back and pretend that I wasn't there.
Maybe the answer to your question will come from within.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i think it can depend on the size of the lake when word gets out about a certain bait or location. i live on zukey lk and always post how i did with as much info as i can, cause it is on the huron river chain and i would like to see more people out lookin for these walleye and givin me back some info.( they are very hard to find & catch ) i dont know how big freemont is but if its 5 or 10 acres its too small for half the people on this site to fish 1 or 2 months in a row. i have seen guys start small cities on LSC just by giving location and bait when ice fishing & i think that can be more fun just goin out where all the other guys are & talkin to new people, & coming home with one or two perch, but that lake is huge the fish move alot. sometimes people post pics, & do the braggin thing, but they dont tell where when how, but if you look at the lake in the pic you can see it is small and maybe best to keep secret.i have also seen guys like capt. dan give out lots of good info about sag bay in the winter and it has not helped me catch fish yet but i have had alot of fun tryin :) and thats what its all about, gettin outside.so keep them posts comin dan, there good,just like big mike & big ed on LSC in the wint ;) ;) er

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lucky Dog said:
Seems odd that this post would be coming from you. The two times that I have bumped into you at the ramp, I asked the universal question, "howd ya do" ?
Well, your response was to look up at me then turn your back and pretend that I wasn't there.
Maybe the answer to your question will come from within.

Lucky Dog.

That is so much UN-like me, I'm afraid I have to call you a liar right here on this board. Unless you did something to make me mad at the launch, or I did really (not hear you), I would have never turned my back and walked away. I did work in a foundry for 25 years, and my hearing is bad to say the least. And I've come very close to loosing friends because I share almost to much fishing info with people. If this board and the reports I do for Franks isn't example enough, then I have no other places to point to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2 things my mom taught me 50 years ago

1. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
2. share

She was right then and it's still right now.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
DTSTrout said:
2 things my mom taught me 50 years ago

1. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
2. share

She was right then and it's still right now.
So DTS, where do you get your trout locally? On what bait? I'd love to hook into something that could actually pull me in the water one of these cold afternoons... No chance of a walleye or bass doing that! LOL!!!

I even have new waders that haven't been wet yet!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My interest in trout fishing is declining yearly. There are less and less trout and more and more fisherman. The spots I grew up fishing are gone, condos or fishless. The last trout I caught was at N 42° 57.789 W 085° 29.124 on a clown husky jerk. It was an 18 inch brown, probably from the stream nearby. Mostly whitefish and midnight walleyes now.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
walleye express said:
Lucky Dog.

That is so much UN-like me, I'm afraid I have to call you a liar right here on this board. Unless you did something to make me mad at the launch, or I did really (not hear you), I would have never turned my back and walked away. I did work in a foundry for 25 years, and my hearing is bad to say the least. And I've come very close to loosing friends because I share almost to much fishing info with people. If this board and the reports I do for Franks isn't example enough, then I have no other places to point to.
Go ahead and call me a liar if you want, that won't change the truth.
Interesting response on your part though, First instinct is to lash out and call me a liar, I would think a person who claims to be so giving and helpful would be more interested in righting a wrong from their past rather than lashing out. It is exactly the response I expected from you, so there were no real surprises on this end. Next time I see you at the ramp, I'll just pass by, that way you won't have to ignore me, and I won't get called a liar again.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
DTSTrout said:
My interest in trout fishing is declining yearly. There are less and less trout and more and more fisherman. The spots I grew up fishing are gone, condos or fishless. The last trout I caught was at N 42° 57.789 W 085° 29.124 on a clown husky jerk. It was an 18 inch brown, probably from the stream nearby. Mostly whitefish and midnight walleyes now.
You sure about those coordinates? Mapquest put them here:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts