Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey youse super perch fishing persons, share your tackle tips and whatevers!

We might as well catch them, they're disappearing anyway.

Here's a photo of the good old days. 1930's perch fishing the Pine River, Michigan.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
when ever i went perch fishing we all ways cut the head off the minnows thread the tails on the jigging spoons or perch hawgers the tail get a lot of movement on dead bait. also it holds the minnow better then putting it threw the nose of the minnows. then we use the head later on for perch. when we really get on top of them. it harder to hook the head then the tail. i always use frozen minnows cause they don't squish the guts out when you cut the heads off with scissors. any ways they sell a lead mold called a swim jig mold from do it molds to make perch hawgers. we also use the bigger sizes for waleyes with stinger hooks . get a good rod and line and find a buddies gps'ed spots you should be good. lol's any ways best of luck ....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when ever i went perch fishing we all ways cut the head off the minnows thread the tails on the jigging spoons or perch hawgers the tail get a lot of movement on dead bait. also it holds the minnow better then putting it threw the nose of the minnows. then we use the head later on for perch. when we really get on top of them. it harder to hook the head then the tail. i always use frozen minnows cause they don't squish the guts out when you cut the heads off with scissors. any ways they sell a lead mold called a swim jig mold from do it molds to make perch hawgers. we also use the bigger sizes for waleyes with stinger hooks . get a good rod and line and find a buddies gps'ed spots you should be good. lol's any ways best of luck ....
Hey swaprat, thanks!
Great info!
I'm going to look into that swim jig mold for perch hawgers.
Dale

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Anymore it boils down to time on the ice and a good finder for me. Swimming a live one on a 30" UL HT ice blue.....

that why he need his good buddy gps'ed spots cause time on the ice just can be beat. your not going to hit them in one week end on the ice and have it the same the next...thing change so do periods of ice like early winter late winter etc.. they all play effect on perch and how they react to the water temps etc...

besides a flasher for perch
i would look in to buying a book on half.com called ice fishing secrets by in-fishermen publications. you can find it on in-fishermens web site but i think it only cost me $0.75 +$3.25 for shipping for the book instead of the full $15 for the book. any ways a good flasher or sonar will help every type of ice fishing is explained in this book pike, walleyes , bluegills etc... are all covered by one book. how to fish them. how to use flashers how to rig for each type of fish etc... all in the book.... any ways wish you the best just get out and fish lol's....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that why he need his good buddy gps'ed spots cause time on the ice just can be beat. your not going to hit them in one week end on the ice and have it the same the next...thing change so do periods of ice like early winter late winter etc.. they all play effect on perch and how they react to the water temps etc...

besides a flasher for perch
i would look in to buying a book on half.com called ice fishing secrets by in-fishermen publications. you can find it on in-fishermens web site but i think it only cost me $0.75 +$3.25 for shipping for the book instead of the full $15 for the book. any ways a good flasher or sonar will help every type of ice fishing is explained in this book pike, walleyes , bluegills etc... are all covered by one book. how to fish them. how to use flashers how to rig for each type of fish etc... all in the book.... any ways wish you the best just get out and fish lol's....
Thanks again, you definitely know what you're doing.
I'll look for that book, too.
All the best.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,437 Posts
How about a club & loin cloth? :lol:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Use the CHIP on your shoulder for bait on a small jig like Scott does everywhere he goes. My turn! Learn to be nice to people Scotty and you might be surprised.

You and Frank should get a room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts