Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they just came out this year but was wondering everyones opinion on these if they have saw them.I like the looks of it and decent size with a bench seat.Thanks for any info

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Actually they came out last year (except for the 1.5DX). I like them. I got the 1.0 version last year when it was being clearanced off.

I was down @ Cabelas Thursday night and sat in one of the 2.0DX models. It looks like for two people it would be really comfortable. And they've made a huge improvement with their padded bench and backrest.

Looking at the sled base it looks like it would be a fairly easy pull too. I know the 1.0 sure is.

$429 (current list price @ cabelas.com) seems a little steep though. $30 more than the comparable Clam Fish Trap Pro which i think many people here like. I don't think I'd pay $429 for it. Might be worth keeping an eye on end of season, to see if anyone has them clearanced...

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
RichP,
How do you like that 1.0 Shappell for shoulder room and gear storage.
I have the Otter medium and would like to get a smaller shanty when I'm fishing alone.
Drake

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Shoulder room is ok, and gear storage is sufficient for me. I tend to go out with my hand auger, my vex, a bucket with 5-6 poles, lantern & propane cans, minnow bucket (sometimes), small heater, snacks, and it all fits fine. There's even a little shelf (at least last year's model) behind the bench.

My only beef is that i wish it was just a tad wider. I think the new 1.5DX addresses this situation...

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I am considering both, My buddys have Fishtrap Scouts and they look alittle narrow.
Thanks ,
Dave

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Then I would definitely recommend checking out the 1.5DX. It is the wider 1 person model.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Drake said:
RichP,
How do you like that 1.0 Shappell for shoulder room and gear storage.
I have the Otter medium and would like to get a smaller shanty when I'm fishing alone.
Drake
I have the Med. also, but Otter had a deal on their old small den's, last year. $200 bucks, couldn't pass it up. Its GREAT one man.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My wife bought me the 2.0 yesterday for an early x-mas gift.

This is a nice shanty with many nice features. It has a under bench storage net,2 storage pockets against the back wall large size also. 2 built in fresh air vents which is a must with flaps on them. Large padded bench seat with fold up/down backrest that is also padded, Plenty of room in the sled to hold all of your gear and the kitchen sink! The shanty is big enough to fish 3 adults if one sits on a bucket near of the 2 front doors. Also has a rear acces opening behind the bench seat in the material! Very well built and assembles easy & fast with one person

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have an older rover, and I like very much but I do wish that it was a little wider/longer. I didn't know that they had come out with a 1.5. Does anyone know of a web site where i can look at one of the 1.5 rovers?

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
RichP said:
http://www.fish307.com/fish/ShappellRV15.htm

I don't think Mr. Shappell has gotten around to creating a website as of yet...
I gotta great story about Shappell that I tell every year. About 7 or 8 years ago, I had to contact them for some reason, so I hunted up an 800 # somehow and gave them a call. When I called, some 8year old kid answered the phone "hello?,, I said is this Shappell? and he says ya,, but we're eating dinner" LMAO,, then kid yells, "GRANDPA, someones' on the phone for you". Then some lady gets on the line and tells me the story of Shappell. They are literally a mom and pop show. All they do is buy the materials for all their products and have them shipped to someplace then some one else builds them and ships them to retailers.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For all the great info on shanties.I have to pull it by hand usually with a kid so I think the Rover 2 will be a good buy for me.I'll keep everybody posted on how we do on LSC this year too.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
RichP said:
Shoulder room is ok, and gear storage is sufficient for me. I tend to go out with my hand auger, my vex, a bucket with 5-6 poles, lantern & propane cans, minnow bucket (sometimes), small heater, snacks, and it all fits fine. There's even a little shelf (at least last year's model) behind the bench.

My only beef is that i wish it was just a tad wider. I think the new 1.5DX addresses this situation...

did you take that pic of my shanty. it looks exactly the same as mine :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
RichP said:

When did they start calling Bud Light's a snack? :lol: :confused: :lol: ;)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Burksee said:
When did they start calling Bud Light's a snack? :lol: :confused: :lol: ;)
There's probably a beef jerky package and/or doritos bag laying somewhere around in the sled. Gotta have something to wash it down... :)

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Fishfoote said:
Two Bud Lights are a snack, anymore and you'd be talking dinner.
ROTGLMAO! Now that's been explained that way I now understand! :lol:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went to Knutsons in Brooklyn yesterday and bought a 1.5 rover. I still have to put it together but I really liked the extra room in the display model, has many nice features, i can't wait to get it out on the ice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts