Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you have tried to put reflective tape on one of these.it is a older one with no reflectors on it and is hard to see at night,had a few snowmobiles get a little to close thru the years.I'm looking for somthing that will stick to that material and still be flexiable enough to not snap off in the cold when it gets folded up,Thank you for the info

·
Registered
253 Posts
what kinda material is your shanty made out of? im sure the reflectors with the sticky back you can just pop right on it with no problem at night.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UTEP said:
what kinda material is your shanty made out of? im sure the reflectors with the sticky back you can just pop right on it with no problem at night.
Its a slick thin plastic tarp type of material

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I had an idea after I talked to You :yikes: . How 'bout magnetic reflectors ? You'd have to have one inside/outside - but no sewing . Bob

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Yeah, I tried to do the reflective tape on an older Shappell model. As stated above, it didn't work too well. Stuck at first but after a few times of folding it down and setting it back up the tape started to come off.

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
They'll help and they're a good idea. That's why the newer models have them built in. Sure there will always be some disrespectful people that will buzz close by you even if they see you, but there are also many other respectful riders out there that will veer off if they see you far enough in advance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i have a 4000 that got hit by mice 2 years back, they put little holes all over it. i almost thew it out , then i set it up in my livingroom and got out the duct tape and went to town on it.i even reinforced all the stress points like the bottom corners, the ends of the zipper doors, anywhere i thought might be weak. my buddy does heating & cooling and uses duct tape alot he said if you put it on in the house when its warm and dry it would stick better, and he was right. the tape is still lookin good and we use the shanty alot, i let my buddy use it with his kids all the time and i use it almost every time i go out. i would think if you went to a truck & trailer place & got the tape they use on semi trucks it would work the same, we hang a lantern in ours as soon as it starts getting dark and open the flaps on the windows so all the boneheads flyin around at night can see us. saw a guy last year had a battery powered flashing orange strobe on top of his clam you could see him from a long ways. he said he paid 30 bucks for it, and used it to help his buddies find him when they come out late.

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
LOL, you should post that link in the "How close is too close thread"

Rig that baby up on the roof of your shanty and see how close people decide to fish near you.

Imagine sitting on your bucket seeing that thing go off all night. :lol:

Looks like a good thing to have if you get in a jam though and need to get someone's attention.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here's what I use, and they're really cheap. I got them originally for my planer boards, but have used them ice fishing as well for clipping on the shanty after dark. I've been getting about 30 hours out of a set of batteries. Obviously, you can't run them all the time say for a permanent shanty, but they work great for while you're in it. I've even used them for makeshift trailer lights on a couple of occasions when my bulbs have burned out. Get the red ones though, they seem to show up better from a distance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
JJ Mac said:
Here's what I use, and they're really cheap. I got them originally for my planer boards, but have used them ice fishing as well for clipping on the shanty after dark. I've been getting about 30 hours out of a set of batteries. Obviously, you can't run them all the time say for a permanent shanty, but they work great for while you're in it. I've even used them for makeshift trailer lights on a couple of occasions when my bulbs have burned out. Get the red ones though, they seem to show up better from a distance.

These are pretty cool. You can get them at www.coleman.com for $5.00. They come in Red, Green and Amber.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone,lots of idea's.Think I might try those coleman lights first.Good luck on the ice this winter

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try the fabrics area at walmart .... my wife got some of this reflective fabric for the kids and I belive it was iron on...... works good I must do this on my clam scout...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I like the "nightlight" ideas. Strobe obviously more attention getting than constant, but either would be a big step in the right direction. :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The clip on light's arrived from coleman yesterday,Cliped them to the dogs collars last nite and let them out back for a test run,for something so small they put out a good amount of lite,really stand out in the snow.Thanks for the idea guys they should work great on the shanty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts