Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find some adhesive that will stick to my ice shack material. I have a insulated R-2 Tec and the iner material is almost like a vinyl, slipperey. I have tried silicone, Gorollia glue, and a wader repair adhesive, all of it dries and then peals off like it was teflon.
Only fished out of it a few times last year and before I put it away and a F****in mouse got in the back of my truck and built its nest.:rant: I hate mice, always ruining stuff. Anybody do anything special to keep mice out in the off season?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Give your shanty to your brother and buy yourself a new one.:evil:
:evil:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give your shanty to your brother and buy yourself a new one.:evil:
:evil:
Yeh and I'll do the same when the battery needs charged on my vex.:lol: Then you'll have everything you need to tag along, look the part, and buy the beer.:lol:

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
I need to find some adhesive that will stick to my ice shack material. I have a insulated R-2 Tec and the iner material is almost like a vinyl, slipperey. I have tried silicone, Gorollia glue, and a wader repair adhesive, all of it dries and then peals off like it was teflon.
Only fished out of it a few times last year and before I put it away and a F****in mouse got in the back of my truck and built its nest.:rant: I hate mice, always ruining stuff. Anybody do anything special to keep mice out in the off season?
Use bounce dryer sheets spread out in the shanty before storage lay em out between the material and in the sled as well and leave em in for the summer. Worked in our deer hunting camper stored in the hayloft of an old barn on our hunting property.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also have had good luck patching my shanties w/ Shoe Goo. Make sure the area is clean and dry. Let the the stuff cure at least 24 hr @ room temperature and you should be good to go.

Ps. wear some nitrile/ latex gloves, the stuff can be kind of messy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is a link to a site that has been helpful to me in the past. hope you find what you are looking for.

http://www.thistothat.com/

Mothballs have worked for us for many years. Keep some in our 5th wheel and boat over the winter and my storage for ice fishing gear in the summer. We get the cans with the small crystals just peel off the aluminum seal on top and set it out of the way.

You might also try going to the web site for your shanty's manufacturer and see if they have patches and adhesive specific to your shanty, just a thought.

Al

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I 2nd N.E.O.'s reply, moth balls work, I know a lot of people that use them.
3rd! I'm going to upgrade this year, gonna put a dryer sheet or two in the tupperware tray/container with the moth balls. ;)

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
The mice in our barn must like moth balls cuz the little bastards used the box to make their nest!! Went to the bounce dryer sheets and haven't had an issue since.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
25,337 Posts
Just a tip . I break mine down "canvas off " and put it in a tote. Safe and sound till next season. IT only takes 10 minutes to take canvas on and off .---eyepod---out

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
My experience with the frabil has proved nothing better than canvas patch affixed by needle & thread. Easiest, if two guys do the work (one inside and one outside passing the needle). I recommend you be the "inside guy" to avoid ridicule and you get a seat and heater!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have used window tape to repair holes in shanties. The tape is used on the exterior of buildings to seal any air/water gaps there may be. This stuff is ruthless when hot. When I was working construction, my cousin let a roll of this sit in the sun all day, then applied it to the back of my arm. took about half an hour to get the tape off. Anyways if you can apply this at room temp, and let it sit as long as possible, it will not fail.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't say enough about the dryer sheets idea as well. I started putting them in our camper and the shanty in the off season - placing them in the all the usual crevices in the camper and in between the layers of my eskimo when I fold it up. Haven't had a mouse back yet and it doesn't give you that moth-ball headache sitting inside of it either. I use the cheap - extra smelly dryer sheets.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts