Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Franks in the morning to get a new shanty. There are so many possibilities for me, but I am leaning towards a thermal. Really liking:

Eskimo Enfirno Wide 1
Clam Dave Genz Thermal
Clam X1 Thermal.

The price goes from $350-$500+. I would love to get the new 1200 Series Otter, but its a little pricey for me. Unless they have a good deal tomorrow that is. I read the inferno only has 300D fabric, but it feels nice. Both Clam models have built in light bar, but thats only a $20 thing. Anyone have any of these 3 and can add some input to my decisions? Of course I will sit in every shanty they have there tomorrow :D.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Go with the eskimo wide1 inferno, the wide 1 extension on it is awesome and the quality on this shanty Is great. In the pictures the seat probably doesn't seem comfy but once you sit in it their chairs are very nice.

IMO I would stay away form clam there quality seems to have gone down over the years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went and checked it out at Hicks in Clio. They didn't have any clams there,so couldn't compare. The seat is indeed comfortable.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you go with the inferno I would check the parts list first. I just put mine together today and was missing a few bolts and 2 metal shims. Other than that I should be happy with it. Going to give it a test run after I build myself a smitty sled for it. I have no desire to damage the bottom of the sled.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the sled look like it will hold up to the bay? We do a lot of running and gunning and don't want to bust it up the 1st winter. I will get a hyfax kit, but still. Thats one of the main things I look at, is the tub.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Does the sled look like it will hold up to the bay? We do a lot of running and gunning and don't want to bust it up the 1st winter. I will get a hyfax kit, but still. Thats one of the main things I look at, is the tub.
My Jet Sled XL has stood up to heavy abuse on the bay with a hifax kit attached for the past 4 seasons...no complaints here

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I liked the seat in the inferno one allot, I bought something else though, second choice would have been this

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know otter has the best overall everything, just wished they weren't so expensive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are like me, I spend a lot of time in a shanty and my Otter thermal Cabin is the best. For the extra couple hundred it is worth it. Frame and skin is awesome, can take the wind with no problems. Most times can get by with very little heat. The sled can take tons of abuse.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Yeah that.... Absolutely love mine. Won't ever own anything else.. I've owned everything but an Eskimo. I'll only own an otter now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I had a predator, bought it the first year they came out. Sold it to a buddy of mine and he still uses it today. They are huge and make a great shanty if your pulling with a machine. The tubs on them are pretty deep which is why I bought it in the first place. I'd put them a very close second to my Otter. The tub and poles in the predator are way better than any of the other Frabil models for sure!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
329 Posts
Otter hands down is the best out there. Yes you pay more, but I've had mine for 13yrs now (bought first one Franks had) and is still going strong. I'm hard on my equipment and pound the bay a lot on the ice, and have never had an issue with my otter shanty/sled. Would buy another one in a minute (if I ever wear this one out).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just bought a flip2 from franks this weekend and love it so far , thinking of putting a set of Skis on it in stead of hi fax ? Not sure what ya all think ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought my first otter 12 years ago. It's the large resort. At that time, the large sled did not have pockets for the tow bar, there was a bar that had to be mounted to the sled with six bolts. The tow bar then attached to that piece with small hitch pins. The only problem I have had is the weld on that adapter bar. The tub is very strong. Since this shanty is close to 100 pounds, I bought a smaller otter for walking out. My only complaint about the otter shanties is that I with they would have come out with the thermal material earlier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts