Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie question here.
Fished the river last year for the first time mostly by vets park and the Z bridge and did pretty good thanks to a lot of great info and tips on this forum.
Once in a while people leave a report of catching some in the 5fow, is this mostly night time fishing or is there an area of the river they go shallow because of structure or something?
I wouldn't mind trying shallow but don't want to look like an idiot out there either.LOL
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Hi all, newbie question here.
Fished the river last year for the first time mostly by vets park and the Z bridge and did pretty good thanks to a lot of great info and tips on this forum.
Once in a while people leave a report of catching some in the 5fow, is this mostly night time fishing or is there an area of the river they go shallow because of structure or something?
I wouldn't mind trying shallow but don't want to look like an idiot out there either.LOL
Thanks in advance
I learned along time ago never to question what someone else is doing. But rather figure out the why part. Long time ago I said to my buddy hey look at that dude. What the heck does he think he's going to catch on that. What a dummy.. He was using a super shad rap like a foot long. Like 2 minutes later I turn around and dudes doing battle with a monster. Splashing allover. We walk over he has 4 pike. Smallest was 38" and the other 3 were inbetween 40"-44".
Talk about feeling stupid.:banghead:
Look for spots where that 5'-6' is real close to deep water. The closer the better. Generally low light is best chance shallow.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
When I started fishing the river 20 something years ago, I always went with my father in-law and his buddy that had fished the river for years.
We almost always set up in the channel to fish deeper water.
One morning, we were all fishing deep for about an hour, nobody had a single bite.
My father in-law and his buddy walked over, near shore and cut a couple holes and caught 6 fish before we could even notice and move our stuff.
There were only in 5 ft of water, you could see bottom in their holes :gaga:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Last night the bite was great about 30 minutes after day light till roughly 8 pm in 6 fow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've grown up fishing the Sagnasty and never fish the channel. We stay between 5 and 12 foot of water. You'll be surprised at what and how many you'll catch. Tight lines and be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts