Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is whipping a effective method to catch walleye all summer or just early spring?

what would the line setup be to drift crawler harnesses down the river? what's the usual depth of water? Time of year?

What about jigging still working on the walleye and will it work all summer in the river

Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
just go though the past threads and u will answer all of those questions!!!:dizzy:
Oh boy here we go again with Mr Friendly.

ANYWAY sprinks3665, Whipping is productive past spring and especially into summer.

You can use whatever you have for dragging harnesses. I use a 7 1/2 ' spinning rod but even use my 6 foot all purpose spinning combo. When you get more serious and want better depth control, you'll probably want to use a baitcasting with a line counter reel. This technique usually starts about late May once the jig bite gets tougher.

There are many that will jig all summer but the difference between spring jigging and summer jigging is that the fish are more scattered. You can cover more area "prospecting" for fish while bottom bouncing. But once to locate them, you can get them jigging too.

Good luck

212 Posts
Oh boy here we go again with Mr Friendly.

ANYWAY sprinks3665, Whipping is productive past spring and especially into summer.

You can use whatever you have for dragging harnesses. I use a 7 1/2 ' spinning rod but even use my 6 foot all purpose spinning combo. When you get more serious and want better depth control, you'll probably want to use a baitcasting with a line counter reel. This technique usually starts about late May once the jig bite gets tougher.

There are many that will jig all summer but the difference between spring jigging and summer jigging is that the fish are more scattered. You can cover more area "prospecting" for fish while bottom bouncing. But once to locate them, you can get them jigging too.

Good luck
i thought i was being nice!! thats a lot of writing to anwser those questions..:lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I prefer jigging over drifting but sometimes the fish are deeper than 40 feet and it can be difficult to feel the jig. Another option is to drift for the walleyes and if you find a small stretch of water where their located, then switch to jigging and nail them that way. I use 3/4 to 1 oz jigs. If your drifting, up to a 3 oz bottom bouncer depending on the wind and depth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts