Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Set some traps today

3340 Views 22 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  piketroller
Got out 4, had planned on 6 but that heat was just too much. The bugs seemed very active, got in the water to set one trap and that felt absolutely amazing. Will see how I did tommorow, if I didn't trap enough for a small boil I will just get in there after them tommorow. No shortage of rustys in this spot, I baited with cheap hotdogs.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Checked the first 3 for a total of 67 rustys, 61 were in a single trap, 6 in another. The 3rd one was loaded with big creek chubs so all traps got rebaited with fresh cut chubs. On my way to #4 now.

All panfish caught were released too.
6 more in the final trap, not a bad 1 day haul. Wish all the traps had 60+ in them, I could certainly do better by simply using my hands but trapping them is fun too when you don't have much time.
Reactions: junkman and DanSS26
2nd check didn't go so well, got 44 crawfish but I am down 2 traps. Damn thieves.
Reactions: John Hine and Waif
:mad:
2nd check didn't go so well, got 44 crawfish but I am down 2 traps. Damn thieves.
Trying a new spot tonight, the creek behind the house, lots of Burroughs along the bank with the mud chimneys. Wish the sticky for Michigan crayfish still showed the picture, anyone ever have luck trapping the Burroughing varietys of crayfish?
Boil time, water is seasoned and heating.

64 hit the water today, would have been 65 but one died. I have some pictures I will post tommorow for ID purposes, maybe in a different thread. All but about 5 of these were clearly rustys IMO. I am stuck in a food coma for now. Lol
157 yesterday and 148 today all in traps. Got a holding pen going that the 148 are in now the 157 from yesterday went in the hot tub last night.

Started catching some flack for eating crawfish for dinner everyday so the holding pen had to be done.
Always have wanted to try the crawfish never have yet..looks awesome. :cool:
View attachment 772216
View attachment 772217
View attachment 772218

64 hit the water today, would have been 65 but one died. I have some pictures I will post tommorow for ID purposes, maybe in a different thread. All but about 5 of these were clearly rustys IMO. I am stuck in a food coma for now. Lol
Go get ya some hardware cloth and zip ties. Making the traps is easy and catching the Crayfish is fun and tasty in the end. Good bait helps the catch rate alot, I used the carcasses from cleaning these yesterday.

Always have wanted to try the crawfish never have yet..looks awesome. :cool:
The bait they seem to love the most is some dirty river Kang. :D
Are you trapping in fast water or slow. We have creek in our back yard about 54 feet deep. The water is slow cuz of a dam about 200 yds downstream. I 've trapping only caught bullheads
Both but the key is just large rocks being present for the crawdads to hide under. It seems that in the deeper slower water I get a better catch rate but still do ok in the fast water too. What are you using for bait? I got alot more fish than crawdads when I used hot dogs, canned tuna etc. The biggest factor is are there crawfish present if there are alot you should be able to see some dead or alive and depending on time of the year shells left from molting.

If anyone is interested and in my area (otisville) I would be willing to show you my spots, plenty of crawdads to go around. I have been trying to sort for just rustys as it does seem there are still some natives around but very few.

Edit: alaby I see your location is listed as Genesee county, send me a PM if you are in the area.
Are you trapping in fast water or slow. We have creek in our back yard about 54 feet deep. The water is slow cuz of a dam about 200 yds downstream. I 've trapping only caught bullheads
Dam! That's a deep creek! 😆
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.