Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Serious Question

1799 22
Has anyone tried Bloodvision glasses? I have a horrible time seeing blood in all but bright conditions. Blood on snow looks brown to me unless it bright out .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
I want to try them but can't seem to spend the money. Ive tried all the lights and stuff and had no results. Im skeptical but hopeful they work.
  • Protanomaly makes red look more green and less bright. ...this is my type of colorblindness.
Reactions: pescadero
Seems amazon has lots of them try some luv
Has anyone found any of the blood trail tracking products to be anything but a gimmick ? Curious. If not, I'm seriously doubting this will be any different. I remember the Primos and other lights that were being sold as the best thing going for seeing a blood trail. Apparently if they were that good, these glasses wouldn't be a consideration for people. I remember a buddy saying Ray Charles could see blood trails using the Primos blood tracking light. Funny.
Actually, the Primos Bloodhunter light does make blood pop at night. I tagged along with a deer tracking dog one night and the tracked had one of the Bloodhunter lights. I was very shocked at the difference between it and a regular flashlight or headlamp.
Being color blind sucks big time when it come to hunting !
Are you color blind? or does it make it shine somehow?
Actually, the Primos Bloodhunter light does make blood pop at night. I tagged along with a deer tracking dog one night and the tracked had one of the Bloodhunter lights. I was very shocked at the difference between it and a regular flashlight or headlamp.
Only if your not color blind. Ive tried all
I suffer from shade blindness. I have a very hard time tracking & really have to take my time. What I use as an aid is a spray bottle of peroxide I carry in my backpack. I don't like leaving the scent, but it does help me track deer down.
No, I am not color blind so I cannot vouch that it would work the same if I was. The light made the blood so vivid it almost looked 3d to me. Hard to explain. My son and son in law said the same thing.
I wondered if it was different for color blind vs not. I am very color blind on red, I can't hardly trail my deer at all myself. If in snow then sometimes, otherwise I am screwed. Always relied on having my wife come out to help. That's why we bought ourselves a tracking dog last winter. I just can't do it on my own unless I watch the deer go down
Only if your not color blind. Ive tried all
I am not color blind and I can track pretty good but having my wife and dog make it go easier and faster. Women often see blood better. Some little kids can be amazing, until they get tired or bored. when my son was not much more than a toddler, he could find blood and morels.
I wondered if it was different for color blind vs not. I am very color blind on red, I can't hardly trail my deer at all myself. If in snow then sometimes, otherwise I am screwed. Always relied on having my wife come out to help. That's why we bought ourselves a tracking dog last winter. I just can't do it on my own unless I watch the deer go down
1) Colorblindness (in this case red-green deficiency) is not in/off - it varies in severity.

2) Red-green deficiency is pretty common in men (8-10%) and uncommon in women (0.5%)

So it's quite possible you are mildly red-green deficient, and women often seem better at seeing blood because they're much less likely to be red-green deficient.
I am not color blind and I can track pretty good but having my wife and dog make it go easier and faster. Women often see blood better. Some little kids can be amazing, until they get tired or bored. when my son was not much more than a toddler, he could find blood and morels.
I have mild red-green deficiency, but it isn't really bad.

Tracking in snow is no problem.
Tracking on anything with lots of contrast? No problem.

Where it gets bad is tracking on brown. Pine needles, oak leaves, etc. can be tough. I look for wetness/shine.
It's a tough thing for a deer hunter. I have a crew of great blood trackers. Occasionally I'll find some but mostly I'm the last blood marker 🙄
Crazy how much more prevalent it is in men. I’ve heard it’s passed from your grandfather? Not sure if it’s true. But could make sense. I have 4 male cousins on my moms side and we are all really red green deficient.

We all love to hunt. Usually get together at thanksgiving for some hunts together. Unless we see them go down it’s like a bunch of blind buffoons out there, bumbling over pools of blood wondering where it went..

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1) Colorblindness (in this case red-green deficiency) is not in/off - it varies in severity.

2) Red-green deficiency is pretty common in men (8-10%) and uncommon in women (0.5%)

So it's quite possible you are mildly red-green deficient, and women often seem better at seeing blood because they're much less likely to be red-green deficient.
Early on I learned it was much easier to shoot well than it is to see color. Most of my shots are either head or high neck but their are still times you can’t do that in moving deer or when they over a couple hundred yards out. I did put Blood Vision glasses on my Christmas list. I was hoping somebody actually had experience.
Reactions: 3X8 and Bucman
Hope they work for you. Has the be frustrating.
Yeah...

My dad is Red/green/brown color blind...

5 years ago we bought these glasses. He tried them and really didn't work for him...BUT they can work for you depending on the deficiency you have. We returned them back, free of charge.

The gene for red green deficiency is carried on the X chromosome.

Men only have one X chromosome - from their mother.
If that chromosome carries the gene for red-green deficiency, you are red-green deficient.

Women have two X chromosomes - one from their mother and one from their father.
Only if BOTH X chromosomes carry the gene for red-green deficiency, do they end up red-green deficient.
Crazy how much more prevalent it is in men. I’ve heard it’s passed from your grandfather?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts