Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have clients coming into town from the east coast and they want to experience salmon fishing in the Great Lakes. I'd like to get a charter out in the lake at Manistee because I'd like to show them the unique methods we use here in MI. My question is whether there will be a quality bite out in the lake at that time of year. I'm concerned that the bite will be off in the lake and we'll not do so well. Of course, I call the charters and they say it'll be awesome. I'm interested in your thoughts on booking a charter for that time and whether it'll be productive, as the fish are surely moving towards the river.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I chartered out of Ludington on or around the 13th a few years back on a reschedule from a blow day and hammered them . Of course there were runs up the river but still some 4 year olds out in front on the pier . I think we boated 15 and not one less than 10 lbs and several over 17 lbs . Most of the trouble comes with the change in weather . Just my 2 cents .

Good luck if you go !

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
There's large kings out there into October. Most of the three and four year old fish will be near shore, which can be a circus, but there'll be plenty of fish out there still to be caught.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear that it's not too late. It'll be easier to justify spending Co. money if the clients have a great time...and me too of course;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Last year my BIL & myself had one of the best weekends fishing ever in the middle of september. Quick limits of nice fish.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Middle of September, look at Muskegon or Grand Haven for staging Kings as a rule. Yes you will catch fish farther north, but over the years, we have caught so many big staging fish that are still in decent shape on the south end of the lake well into September, so it is worth considering and may be a little closer, less crowded than the big name ports farther north.

Ozzman :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You will see a good amount of fish wherever you choose to go up and down the Michigan Gold Coast. Of course each of us will be partial to our home fishing grounds.

Last year the wed after Labor Day the harbor patrol in Muskegon was on fire! Everyone, I mean everyone had fish on - Sand Docks trollers, anchored jiggers, pier casters, trolling boats, Coasties casting from the Coast Guard dock area, boats in the channel and breakwater and guys out front - it was a zoo!! It was a blast too to see that many people with that many fish on!!

One advantage of fishing in an area where there is an inland drowned rivermouth lake such as Muskegon, Ludington and Manistee is if it is blowing real hard you can fish in the inland lake. Mid Sept a few years ago we killed the kings in Muskegon Lake - 2 charterboats - 10 people - 30 fish after a big storm came in at 6 AM. Started at 7:30 AM - both boats done by 12:30. Unreal.

Anyway you mix it up you have a real good shot at some quality fish and less than normal traffic as you move towards mid to late Sept the boat traffic will taper off.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The last day we fished last year was 10-28-07 we went 3-6 fished out of port sheldon

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
The only problem is the Weather that time of year, you start to get high winds from the West and South, which makes it hard on a smaller craft.......

Mushy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts