Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to the Seney area this weekend and I will be doing some shore fishing on some of the ponds with my 10 year old son in our free time. Has anyone fished any of the ponds and whats a good bait (no love bait allowed)?

Were just looking to catch and release anything so any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
CB

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's been several years, but I stopped by there on a whim and spoke with the rangers running the place. They were very helpful, even suggesting which ponds were better than others. I would try to find a number and call up there ahead of time.

All i really remember is that things were very weedy. We didn't fish there much at all but in other small lakes in the area silver spoons with a twister tail did well. Other good baits were topwaters, zoom flukes or berkley jerk shads rigged weekless. Also large 5" kalins grubs texas rigged wieghtless or on a jighead weedless.

All of this is for the areas that were weed choked. open areas we fished spinnerbaits and husky jerks like we would anywhere else. The weeded areas did hold fish though. Best bet was to run baits into the edge of the weeds and then rip them out. We used a lot of white for color. Most of the water up there is stained tea-colored, but pretty clear.

Good luck.

edit- here's a link to the contacts. I'd start with the ranger. http://www.fws.gov/midwest/seney/Contact.htm

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information and link, I will contact them.

I tried fishing a few of the ponds off the main road a few years ago using white twister tails and chartreuse spinner baits but we didnt catch anything so I'm hoping for better luck/advice this time around..

Thanks again
CB

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
We stopped many times when I was a kid and made cast’s in the show pools off 77 N while on our way to our property in the west end. The family would stop for lunch at the wigwams (that’s what we called it) rest stop / road side park north of Germfask. I can’t remember catching anything due to it being so shallow and weedy. Two years ago the ponds were almost totally dry. Not sure about any of the lakes or ponds farther in the Seney rec. area?

On a side note...Anyone know why the small park that I’m talking about on the east side of 77 south of Seney / north of Germfask has been closed for 15 years? There’s a picnic area (well built wigwams for cover) bathrooms, picnic tables and small area to park and walk around. One year it just closed and has been closed ever since? I have many fond memories of stopping there on our way to Ontonagon. It looks like you could cut the grass, clean the place up a little, open the green gate with the CLOSED sign on it and it would be ready for visitors. It sure is a beautiful spot to take a break from the long drive across the upper.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yip we used to do the same thing because we got a place on gogebic sucks they closed it I used to love walking back and standing on the bridge ovewrlooking the ponds.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simply an AWESOME weekend and I want to thank everyone, including the PM I received about the kids FREE fishing contest on Saturday at Seney. The staff members that worked there were so friendly, I thought I was in another country. They had fish stations placed along the roads, which included fishing poles and bait if you didnt have any. Then they had a FREE fish lunch/dinner. EVERYTHING was FREE and I highly recommend taking a kid for a GREAT time. At the end, every kid that didnt win something still got a free grab bag so everyone came out a winner.

By the way, my son took second place, received a certificate and then won a free fishing pole and net. Between 3 of us we caught roughly 15 pike in 3 hours and the biggest was just over 20" but the largest my son caught that was entered was 17-1/4"..

Thanks again and remember to take a kid fishing and if you go to the U.P. this year DONT forget to take some tick spray, they are freakin everywhere!

CB

·
Registered
82 Posts
glad to hear you had a good time. Getting up to that area is one of my favorite trips.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good to hear CB! Sounds like you and the family had a blast! I hope to take my boys up next year.

Thanks for the update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts