Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
If you don't use it or have a use for it, then sell it. That said, I hope we can convince you of the usefulness of a New Haven model 70 in 308.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...
Family treasure. How do you want to remember your uncles kindness?
If he was a hunter he would like you to have a weapon as an adult also. I'm sure he would approve of an upgrade to see you back at it!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I’m practical to a fault, so part of me says flip it and get what you want if you aren’t going to ever use it. The other part of me says you should probably keep it. I think I saw it mentioned earlier, but myself I’d take it to a good gunsmith and have them add a spacer or longer recoil paid to the gun if it’s a length of pull issue for you. IMO, a .308 is probably one of the best whitetail cartridges you can get anyway. Lastly, once again my practically showing through, but .308 is a round that will be in production the next time we have an ammo crunch. I would always keep a .223, .308, and 9mm around just for that potential issue.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Restock it and use it. Keep the youth stock in case you ever want to pass it on to a kid someday.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought.
If you decide to trade it you could take it to Jays Sporting and trade it in for that Model 70. Call them first.

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
I've got quite a few 'sentimental' guns in my safe. Handed down and they're sentimental only to me. My kids don't hunt, and when I go they're instantly just old guns. I need to do some safe cleaning before long. My boys would rather have my collection of nice tools over guns.
That is sad.

I know these people exist, but it just hurts to hear.

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
@bobberbill , I’ve been thinking about this.

Maybe you could write down some of the stories associated with each gun? Or something similar to that, the guns story, and send it on down the line with the gun to next person. That would be cool as hell, IMO. I would love to share the legacy of something like that if I were the one to purchase it. I am sure others would too. Plus it’d let your sentimental value live on with the gun, even past your possession.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Reactions: RHRoss

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you have any thoughts about hunting out West for mulies, elk or antelope, the .308 is a great all-around round. You can almost always find 308 ammo everywhere in the US and Canada, and relatively speaking, the .308 is also still a relatively cheap round.

I'm also in the camp of never getting rid of a gun given to me, so my vote would be to keep it.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I have a model 70 in 30-06, it was my dad’s uncle’s. My dad hunted with him in the U.P. For years when my dad was young. When his uncle passed it was given to my dad, my dad had a lot of firearms and told me know matter what, you get that rifle when I die. That day came in 2011 and I got the rifle, it has a very very low serial number. At the funeral I was asked by a relative if I had seen the rifle, I told him I had it and it was still in the family. Young Flight has had the same conversation with me that I had with my dad. When my day comes get the model 70, that rifle cost me nothing and isn’t costing me anything as I type this. It is priceless and means something to my family, I told my son to sell every firearm I own if he want’s, but never the model 70.
Flight

·
Premium Member
34,130 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...
Don't keep something you don't want. Even if you buy something else that you really want, why keep the old one? If no one else in the family wants it, go ahead and sell it. You've had 25 years to decide if it was that important to you. Too many people get hung up on sentiment. 20 years from now, you'll probably ask why you kept it so long.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I quit counting how many guns I own a couple decades ago. :shocked:
When I have a gun that will the third "use" for gun for then I will contact a family member to see if they want to buy it.
Got rid of a .44 Rugar Combine that I was using for our straight wall season down here. That was just because of vengeance of it's shooting accuracy. Sure, I know in the two upper zones that is a good bush gun but not the hunting season I want to hunt.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I've never heard of a "youth barrel". Nonethelss, if the gun has significant sentimental value, buy a new stock & you're good to go. If not, it will retain it's somewhat sentimental value as an up-trade for the Model 70. I'm certain your uncle would not only understand, but approve; he'd rather see you using a rifle - especially the one you chose - in the sport to which he introduced you than having a safe queen.

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Step up to the plate, be a man, and ask your uncle if he minds if you parted with the rifle after explaining your reasons to him for not using/keeping it.
There should be no shame in doing so if your uncle and you are still that close, perhaps he could suggest another friend/family member who would better benefit from it than you currently do, with your blessings of course.
Sentimental value in this case can only be determined by you, life will go on as it always does, no matter what choice is ultimately made.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts