Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
No such a thing as a firearm outliving it’s useful purpose!!
Absolutely there is.

I sold my Savage 220f the week the trial was announced for Straight walled cartridges knowing full well it would likely be set into place Permanently .

I would ditch my muzzleloader as well but once in a while I still go to areas that have that season so I will hold onto it for now.

The 350 Legend AR in my avatar - gone. Outlived it's usefulness. In 2019 it was the only 350 I could get my hands on and sold it as soon as I got my Scout.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,390 Posts
Absolutely there is.

I sold my Savage 220f the week the trial was announced for Straight walled cartridges knowing full well it would likely be set into place Permanently .

I would ditch my muzzleloader as well but once in a while I still go to areas that have that season so I will hold onto it for now.

The 350 Legend AR in my avatar - gone. Outlived it's usefulness. In 2019 it was the only 350 I could get my hands on and sold it as soon as I got my Scout.
There Absolutely is not, I have two slug guns that I put into the cabinet when I bought my 350, I still have both of my muzzleloaders also, I have sold one weapon many years ago and have regretted it ever since, and for those who may try and say they need $ to feed the kids… I say if ya ain’t got enough money to feed yourselves and the kids…I’d eat the kids before I’d sell a rifle!!! To each their own, but the comment was addressed to the statement of: “firearm outliving it’s useful purpose “ and that statement in and of itself is incorrect!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
There Absolutely is not, I have to slug guns that I put into the cabinet when I bought my 350, I still have both of my muzzleloaders also, I have sold one weapon many years ago and have regretted it ever since, and for those who may try and say they need $ to feed the kids… I say if ya ain’t got enough money to feed the yourselves and the kids…I’d eat the kids before I’d sell a rifle!!!
I am not a hoarder. I don't hold onto tools after I need them. Selling them is not about needing money. If they are just going to sit in my gun safe and collect dust they are gone. I have sold over 50 rifle/shotgun/pistols and don't regret selling a single one.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I wanna say don’t sell it but if you seriously aren’t gonna use it and cant pass it along. A gun is a tool that should be used. It has a purpose if you are not using it for the purpose it was intended for,… sell it and buy something you will use. It does no one any good just sitting in your gun cabinet. If you sell it perhaps the person that buys it will treasure it and use it to have hunting experiences and make memories.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,390 Posts
I wanna say don’t sell it but if you seriously aren’t gonna use it and cant pass it along. A gun is a tool that should be used. It has a purpose if you are not using it for the purpose it was intended for,… sell it and buy something you will use. It does no one any good just sitting in your gun cabinet. If you sell it perhaps the person that buys it will treasure it and use it to have hunting experiences and make memories.
Well I suppose in that sense, ya may as well. Not me though, now I’m wondering what he’s looking to get for it, y’all can be sellers, I can be the buyer!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Selling a firearm is crazy, selling a mdl.#70 in 308 is even crazier. You won’t get what it’s worth therefore why sell it. I have 4 mdl. 70’s, 308 being one, the mdl.70 is the best bolt gun out there, the best trigger,safety and smooth as they come. Accurate as hell. You’ll regret it forever!!!
I mean I dont disagree. I think I looked into it before and the value wasnt there. It badly needs trigger pull reduced, and a new stock. But then, its probably perfect so maybe Ill look into it again. If I put any money into, then I for sure wouldnt sell it, because I wouldnt get that out of it either on top of already not high value.

It does have a slip on pad, to gain an inch or so, just looks ugly.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,390 Posts
I mean I dont disagree. I think I looked into it before and the value wasnt there. It badly needs trigger pull reduced, and a new stock. But then, its probably perfect so maybe Ill look into it again. If I put any money into, then I for sure wouldnt sell it, because I wouldnt get that out of it either on top of already not high value.

It does have a slip on pad, to gain an inch or so, just looks ugly.
308 is an awesome round. Win. Mdl. 70 is an awesome rifle. I would put the dollars into it, and then it would be a cherished item, especially going back to how ya obtained it. Just sayin…

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well maybe Ill keep it, you guys have some good points. My uncle took the time to get me into hunting, so feel like I owe it to him to not sell. BTW he sold his hunting store, sold cottage then home in NWLP, and moved out of state and no longer hunts... So its more to me he got me started.
The gun shoots cheap crap walmart ammo sub moa, so I really dont like selling "accurate" rifles either.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,390 Posts
Well maybe Ill keep it, you guys have some good points. My uncle took the time to get me into hunting, so feel like I owe it to him to not sell. BTW he sold his hunting store, sold cottage then home in NWLP, and moved out of state and no longer hunts... So its more to me he got me started.
The gun shoots cheap crap walmart ammo sub moa, so I really dont like selling "accurate" rifles either.
Make it what you want it to be, get a stock that fits you(custom if need be), Get trigger work done( I like 2 1/2 lbs. of pull, find the ammo it like and you won’t disappointed. I was introduced to to it in Army special forces sniper training, it’s awesome out to 600 yrds, low recoil, there’s a reason why they use the mdl. 70 and 308 and it’s apparent in the weapon itself on range. After deployment I carried a win. Mdl.70 in 300 wm as it got me out to 1200 yrds, another awesome rnd.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If you don't have a use for it, and don't have a young relative to pass it on to, then it makes no sense taking up safe space. A gun is a tool, if my children sell mine, I'd have no problem with it.

I like the .308 win. 6.5mm, 6mm, and 7mm are all the rage, but 30 cal seems to put animals down with more authority than those calibers while still shooting pretty flat unlike the 35's. Mild recoil, wide ammo selection and ease of reloading are other merits of the .308 win.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...
Midwest Gun Works has several stocks in stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...
Keep it forever. Once it’s gone it’s gone.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I won't even sell the fishing rods I inherited from my uncle - that ol salmon st Croix rod has no doubt seen hundreds if not thousands of salmon before it fell into my hands. The eyelets now fall out and the finish on the rod is flaking away - after this past season it'll becomes a wall hanger

21 - 40 of 65 Posts