Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I did talk w someone years back maybe at Bell and Carlson and thought he could get something for it, but the screw spacing is in between the 2 known/common sizes. If a smith nearby could do it maybe thats the best option. Im in Fenton.

·
Registered
23,310 Posts
I wouldn't part with it. Up to you though!
Why not extend the trigger pull length with a piece of wood added to the rear of the stock? As long as it can be returned to original configuration it should be alright. May be rubber recoil type pads or spacers to do similar.

A friend had great faith in his .308. As a result it did him well a lot of years.
But a fine rifle in good shape gifted me from someone I appreciated? I could hang on to it.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. Im 42, my uncle got me a Win Model 70 .308 when I was 17, and introduced me to deer hunting. I hunted a few years and left the sport. Years later picked it back up my way, not their old school sit dark to dark on a bait pile way he grew up doing, and for 15 years Ive REALLY been into it. The rilfe is the SMOOTHEST action Ive ever felt, but its a youth stock and barrel, but shoots really well. Getting a stock has been a pain, and 308 is not the cartridge I want to use. Do I keep it forever as a gun safe queen, or do I trade it up for a new Model 70 feather weight in caliber I want? I always thought I could never sell it, but it sits and sits, and my kids use 350s so they will never shoot it either like I thought...
I'd keep it. You don't have to feed it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If it’s not suited to you, you could use the action and rebarrel & restock it for a new short action caliber, but that would of course be some dollars. It also wouldn’t be applicable if you want to shoot something not suited to that action.

I’m as emotional as anybody but sold my own grandfather’s Model 94. I inherited it from my Dad—who didn’t hunt—and shot it, even hunted with it. I realized one early morning that I could see better with my naked eye than the little Cub 2.5 scope on it, so I swapped that out for good open sights. It was truly not a very accurate rifle, the trigger pull was no fun and as a bolt action aficionado it next sat in my safe for many years.

It was a 1956 and I even had the original sales receipt but it wasn’t worth much as it had been tapped for a side mount + had other condition issues. I also didn’t really know my paternal grandpa much as he was a very remote guy, never spending any time with his grandkids except for a couple days at his cottage in the summer. I spent weeks each year with his ex wife and her new husband, my true grandparents.

So though it was a family heirloom of sorts none of my kids or grandkids wanted it, so I sold it to but my grandson an old Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight. That worked for me. I have kept a number of family items and in fact an the some kid who keeps ‘em, but not that Model 94.

I’d do whatever works for you.

·
Premium Member
15,485 Posts
Personally I would keep it forever even if I never fired it again. Something about sentimental value of things far outweighs the monetary value in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Personally I would keep it forever even if I never fired it again. Something about sentimental value of things far outweighs the monetary value in my opinion.
what he said but thats just me, i have many i dont use but was given to me or grandpa's etc. i could never let them go until given to my kids, but do whats best for you thats what matters with that gun.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Boyds makes a stock for that rifle.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,224 Posts
Selling a firearm is crazy, selling a mdl.#70 in 308 is even crazier. You won’t get what it’s worth therefore why sell it. I have 4 mdl. 70’s, 308 being one, the mdl.70 is the best bolt gun out there, the best trigger,safety and smooth as they come. Accurate as hell. You’ll regret it forever!!!

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,224 Posts
Is the Length of pull to short? I prefer youth guns for the short barrel and short length of pull. Perfect for tree stand hunting or sitting on the ground.

I am not sentimental and sell any gun that has outlived its useful purpose to me.
No such a thing as a firearm outliving it’s useful purpose!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts