Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I transport my kayak with my pick-up and carry my yak in the bed. When loading the yak by myself, I drag the yak in position and lift the bow up on to the truck bed and then scoot to the stern and and push the yak the remaining way. No problem unless the the bow tends to slide backward due to being wet and I'm at the back preparing to lift the stern. What I have done to partially prevent this is to place the bow on a rubber mat. This helps but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it unattended while I go to the stern.

Now, I am planning on purchasing a small 16 ft. travel trailer and I will have to get the kayak up on a rack on some sort to allow for the trailer turning radius with the tail gate closed.

Keep in mind that I still want to continue self loading, but what options are available to get the kayak up over the cab or at least over my bed cover and still allow me access to the bed. Lifting the bow to a secondary height would be impossible for me . The kayak is 11'2". and the bed is 8'.

Perhaps a rack with a PVC roller bar running parallel to the truck bed and then lifting the kayak up by the bow and than pushing to a point where the kayak could than be turned to position it in the rack. This would only work for a rack over the bed of the truck but not the cab. Any thoughts appreciated?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I transport my kayak with my pick-up and carry my yak in the bed. When loading the yak by myself, I drag the yak in position and lift the bow up on to the truck bed and then scoot to the stern and and push the yak the remaining way. No problem unless the the bow tends to slide backward due to being wet and I'm at the back preparing to lift the stern. What I have done to partially prevent this is to place the bow on a rubber mat. This helps but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it unattended while I go to the stern.

Now, I am planning on purchasing a small 16 ft. travel trailer and I will have to get the kayak up on a rack on some sort to allow for the trailer turning radius with the tail gate closed.

Keep in mind that I still want to continue self loading, but what options are available to get the kayak up over the cab or at least over my bed cover and still allow me access to the bed. Lifting the bow to a secondary height would be impossible for me . The kayak is 11'2". and the bed is 8'.

Perhaps a rack with a PVC roller bar running parallel to the truck bed and then lifting the kayak up by the bow and than pushing to a point where the kayak could than be turned to position it in the rack. This would only work for a rack over the bed of the truck but not the cab. Any thoughts appreciated?
I do not know if this will help or not.

I have always used racks front and back when I had cars or vans. I also ran pipe front to back on each side. To load my canoes I put one end up on the pipes. I then went to the other end and picked that up to slide the canoe cross ways of the vehicle. I then spun it cross ways and tied it down.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Multibeard - Thank you for your reply. Did you purchase this rack or did you build it yourself? I think a local fabricator can do the job if I could come up with the design.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I used this method following my dad's lead. It was always used on roof racks that were fastened to the gutters that used to be on cars, trucks and vans. I have the set of racks in storage that he had on his '59 Ford Wagon.

I cobbled up a rack to go on my rodeo out of 1/2 in galvanized pipe for my canoe since the stock ones were not only rounded and wanted the canoe to slide off the side but way to short. Knowing that 1/2 pipe would slide through a 3/4 inch fitting. I used two 7 foot pieces of pipe to run the length. The ends were made the same length with having to put a union into one end to get it all together required one end to be cut to the needed lengths to get it to match lengths with the other.

I made a cross bar for the center that was a 3/4 inch t with the singe side being a 1/2 inch fitting. This was put on before getting the last end together as the 3/4 inch fitting allows the crossbar to be adjustable to fit the stock rack when it is adjusted to it's widest point. I used a combination of punched angle to bolt the back cross and the adjustable cross to the stock rack.

I noticed that you must have a tonneau or similar cover on your truck. I think that they make a rack that fits in the stake pockets and goes up and over toppers that may be your solution.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Multibeard -

Thanks again, good detail! Yes, I do have a tonneau that I would like to stay in place to protect from wandering eyes. The kayak would be above this cover but not cab high but still allow me access to my bed when the kayak is off. May have to fasten the rack to the cover so that it works as one unit?

·
Premium Member
14,155 Posts
Place something that will not slide next to it on the tailgate. Or build something that goes across the gate with a "V" in the middle. You could fasten it in place with on of the tide down straps.

You should be able to do this for under $10 Dollars.

A short piece of 4 x 4. With some rollers on it would also work but would likely be more than $ 10 DOLLSRS.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I solved my problem! I didn't buy the travel trailer. So, I'm back to sliding the kayak into my pick-up bed. Thanks for all your input it's been an interesting conversation.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts