Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Just wondering if there's a selective herbicide that I can use over the summer to kill weeds, but not the sorghum? Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Atrazine and crop oil will take out real small 1" grass. Theres not much for taller grass that's economical. For broadleaves, atrazine, Banvel, Buctril, Laddock are all labeled but most have height restrictions on the sorghum.

Tim

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have found over the past couple of years that if I spray with roundup a week before planting, the sorghum competes quite well with any remaining weeds and shades them out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Interesting...Very Interesting...;) !!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chevyjam2001 said:
I have found over the past couple of years that if I spray with roundup a week before planting, the sorghum competes quite well with any remaining weeds and shades them out.
Jam - are you spraying an existing field, tilling it under and then planting?

My existing scenerio is that the rye that's currently in there will be tilled in and sorghum planted. There are no weeds now. The weeds will appear during the summer growing season.

Anderson - thanks, will check it out.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It is an existing field that is planted in sorghum everyyear. I brushhog the remaining stubble in early spring. Then I wait for the weeds to start growing and I zap them with the roundup. After a week I broadcast my seed and fertilizer then till it in about an inch deep, then cultipack twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts