Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ah Ha she cried as she threw her leg on the kitchen table, one-legged girls can have fun too!

It seems like it was Freepop who mentioned running into educated beaver. Well, today I verified a suspision that one of my floodings I just sethas educated beaver. I've been suspicious with the two other checks observing the oddities of trails in the thin ice but today with the slush & thin ice exposed the puzzle of not catching any beaver in a swamp where there is a ton of fresh & old sign. I saw it the last check and today it was clear, the beaver are really screwing me over. Sign shows they are swimming over my 330s, in a couple spots they are going around, and in other locations they are stopping short & turning around. They sure as the world recognize a 330!!

I pulled the traps this morning and I'll wait for walkable ice and see if they avoid snares or not. With snares I can quickly make the runs into obstacle courses.

· Premium Member
14,301 Posts
There is one thing worse than leaving trapper’s wire, leaving huge(11/2” across) treble hooks dangling from limbs where I want to set for coyotes!! Twice on 2 different properties I’ve narrowly missed getting hooks in my face from people leaving them hang.

If those of you who don’t understand what I’m talking about let me explain. There are people who dislike coyotes to such a degree that during winter, they will hang big treble hooks from a sturdy branch with either wire or cable and glob onto the hook a handful of hamburger and let it freeze. Do I need to explain more?? It is and has been a quite common practice up here for many, many years. Over the years I’ve actually had property owners threaten me that if I didn’t trap coyotes on their property they’d hang the hooks. Sort of like blackmailing me because they knew of my feeling for wildlife and the Law.

I know this is off topic but still relevant to finding stuff while trapping that will cause either equipment harm or personal Injury.
Airplane Aircraft Aviation Jet aircraft Aerospace manufacturer

Wolf's angle. That goes back centuries.

· Registered
100 Posts
Ah Ha she cried as she threw her leg on the kitchen table, one-legged girls can have fun too!

It seems like it was Freepop who mentioned running into educated beaver. Well, today I verified a suspision that one of my floodings I just sethas educated beaver. I've been suspicious with the two other checks observing the oddities of trails in the thin ice but today with the slush & thin ice exposed the puzzle of not catching any beaver in a swamp where there is a ton of fresh & old sign. I saw it the last check and today it was clear, the beaver are really screwing me over. Sign shows they are swimming over my 330s, in a couple spots they are going around, and in other locations they are stopping short & turning around. They sure as the world recognize a 330!!

I pulled the traps this morning and I'll wait for walkable ice and see if they avoid snares or not. With snares I can quickly make the runs into obstacle courses.
That right there makes me want to get out and set some beaver traps, the footholds, 330's and a few dozen unused snares are just waiting. Good luck in you pursuits seldom.

· Premium Member
754 Posts
An educated beaver is most likely one of the critters that will give you more headaches than you want. Had one that would push a stick threw the 330 on a dam break, then use it to help plug up the break. I tried for over 2 months to nail him. Ended up having to buy a RBG coni and cut the wires so that it tripped when he hit it with his back. Another that would get close to the 330 and turn around and slap the water with its tail an set the trap off, as I always set on the first notch for a light trigger hit. If I had not seen it for myself with my own eyes, and someone told me that I would swear that they were feeding me a line.
I would have liked to use snares, but the property owner was totally anti-snare.

· Registered
27,337 Posts

Educated beaver will keep you on your toes and adds some challenge, much like coyote trapping. My money is on Seldom

· Registered
27,337 Posts
No doubt about it, an educated beaver will test one's will and creative skills. I've always liked the way Paul Dobbins put it - trapping beaver is easy 'til it ain't.
Very true
Another I heard:
Anyone can catch "a" beaver but it's a whole different game catching the last one.

Reactions: Waif

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yup, but on a positive note, I’m not doing adc work so if the snared runs are avoided I’ll just walk away. There are too many easy beaver for me to catch than to spend much extra time screwing with educated beaver! I am very interested if the educated beaver avoid my beaver spike rods though.

BTW, this is a surface water flooding contained by the topography so there is no flow or dam.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
This is a great example of the type of on-site consulting I’m looking to do on a person’s trapline next season-

Ok so I am doing pretty well with cables this year but am striking out pretty badly on footholds.
I have read hundreds of pages on the forums and am pretty confident things are bedded right and set in good locations.

I have had probably forty different sets and have one red fox to show for it. I have had cameras in many (not all) and most times coyotes or fox get 8-10' downwind and respond very cautiously and don't investigate.

Some traps are dipped, some are dyed, some are bare. I sort of got into the footholds in the middle of the season so it's basically how I bought them as I was told it's pretty tough to treat do anything without it being dry out. I feel like trap scent, or bedding in peat moss are the only explanations.
I take many scent precautions at the sets. So...Any ideas?”

41 - 52 of 52 Posts