Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Premium Member
754 Posts
Looks like 1/3 the way to my goal. Caught her at a crossover. The same with then beaver and it bottomed-out my 50# scales. 1st check on new line.
View attachment 872126 View attachment 872127 View attachment 872128
Now that is sweet. I like the feel of fur, when it on the boards, but I think otter is my favorite. Question? Is that a sling for your coni bear setter, or to sling your critters for carrying out? Also, I like the way you cable off your traps. Your drying rack is neat also.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, it is a homemade sling. I save carrying straps when the bags are trash and I could see where attaching one of the straps to the setter could be darn handy and by golly, it really is. Now I wouldn’t be without a sling so I’m glad I keep straps.

I learned years before that I didn’t like a long piece of cable to step on/trip on or get tangled so I only use short lengths on the trap itself with a swivel clip and carry lengths of cable coiled up in my wader pocket. As I’m using homemade H-stands I just unclip the tether cable and clip the cable to the H-stand and remake the set. Once the stand with trap is back in position I just reclip the tether cable.

I have to testify that I’m anti wire! LOL. Fixing wire poked holes in gloves, waders, & hip boots got real old for me years ago so I switched to cable. Just last week I came across two old beaver sticks with wire wrapped on and each had 8”-10 of wire sticking out, neither got my waders so I was lucky!!! Pisses me off when trappers can’t take the time to remove ALL of their tie-off wire. They hauled it in, they can haul it out!!

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What's with the beaver's tail? Is there a chunk missing or an illusion?
No illusion SS. The older the beaver the more there are territorial fights And as the loser is swimming away the winner can get a good bead on the tail! A parting gift to the loser! LOL

· Premium Member
754 Posts
I have to testify that I’m anti wire! LOL. Fixing wire poked holes in gloves, waders, & hip boots got real old for me years ago so I switched to cable. Just last week I came across two old beaver sticks with wire wrapped on and each had 8”-10 of wire sticking out, neither got my waders so I was lucky!!! Pisses me off when trappers can’t take the time to remove ALL of their tie-off wire. They hauled it in, they can haul it out!!
I'll have to agree with you whole Heartly, been poked more than once with old wire, always keep up on my Tetanus shot.

· Registered
27,337 Posts
Yes, spring is when they get the most bites.
That 58 lber I got yesterday had been bit up all over it's back at one time. No infection as it had healed but it will be a damaged and a pain to flesh

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'll have to agree with you whole Heartly, been poked more than once with old wire, always keep up on my Tetanus shot.
There is one thing worse than leaving trapper’s wire, leaving huge(11/2” across) treble hooks dangling from limbs where I want to set for coyotes!! Twice on 2 different properties I’ve narrowly missed getting hooks in my face from people leaving them hang.

If those of you who don’t understand what I’m talking about let me explain. There are people who dislike coyotes to such a degree that during winter, they will hang big treble hooks from a sturdy branch with either wire or cable and glob onto the hook a handful of hamburger and let it freeze. Do I need to explain more?? It is and has been a quite common practice up here for many, many years. Over the years I’ve actually had property owners threaten me that if I didn’t trap coyotes on their property they’d hang the hooks. Sort of like blackmailing me because they knew of my feeling for wildlife and the Law.

I know this is off topic but still relevant to finding stuff while trapping that will cause either equipment harm or personal Injury.

50,906 Posts
You'll notice when you see the bright green goo. :alien::sick:🤢
I mean I have seen infection for sure. Just from punctures not a chunk of flesh missing.

Last I was near beaver sign, I could hear something really faint coming from a den (hard to describe. Not quite like a puppy), after I saw 2 adult beaver escape under water. I assume a few young uns in there. Maybe next year I will try to get a few.

· Registered
1,798 Posts
I mean I have seen infection for sure. Just from punctures not a chunk of flesh missing.

I could hear something really faint coming from a den (hard to describe. Not quite like a puppy), after I saw 2 adult beaver escape under water. I assume a few young uns in there.
Those teeth work on more than just wood. A tail I’m tanning now. You ever hear the Foxworthy joke about the dead beaver? “Bit his nipple off!” Lmao

Footwear Shoe Black Wood Tints and shades

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Those teeth work on more than just wood. A tail I’m tanning now. You ever hear the Foxworthy joke about the dead beaver? “Bit his nipple off!” Lmao
No, have you heard about the radio DJ down in Chicago in the early 60s that spun a record for all the virgins listening that night “It Only Hurts For A Little While”. Sucked to be him, they fired him on the phone! That’s what I figure about beaver bitting other beaver’s tails!

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice work Mike!
Thanks Kurt! 1st otter I’ve ever killed. I can’t say it was an otter specific set being a crossover 330 but I had seen tracks in the near vicinity So I wasn’t surprised. You and the boy keep on trapping up there. Do you ever miss the old Hunt Creek Fish Lab job?

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Hey Mike if it’s a crossover it’s an otter set just as much as a beaver set IMO. Good job! I should probably set for otters again. They were my favorite for a lot of years. When they became almost worthless and couldn’t sell I hung up the otter traps . Maybe I need to blow the dust off them this winter. This is now the time I would start setting for them. Looking forward to more catch pics. My son is after a cat right now so hopefully he connects soon. This mornings rain never helps lol

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here is a short clip of when I started beaver trapping 12/1. Those are 20 year old Cabelas breathable wader I have on with muck boots(gave my wading boots to grandson). I need to try and do more videoing of where I’m at now. One of the dams is at least 150yds long.
Beaver Trapping 1 2022 SD 480p

21 - 40 of 52 Posts