Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Canadian Rye a grass to avoid due to seed awns? I was told it was, but that the Michigan DNR is using it for the Pheasants Forever project. One guy has supposedly lost 2 to 3 dogs from it.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Is Canadian Rye a grass to avoid due to seed awns? I was told it was, but that the Michigan DNR is using it for the Pheasants Forever project. One guy has supposedly lost 2 to 3 dogs from it.
IIRC, this is correct. A very real and deadly problem in some areas of the Dakotas. I believe the ESSFT website has a complete discussion re these deadly awns.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I don't know the answer to that question.

The foxtail I see here seems to be a different variety than the "mean seed" encountered in the west.

I do know that I have had more dogs injured from Cut hay fields and cornstalks and wheat stubble, than any of the other grasses and weeds that grew near the fields.
What I'm trying to say, is that I think the grass awn danger might be a little overplayed.

It's all relative. If you run sporting dogs, they will get tore up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Most CRP and government projects have a seed list that the government uses. Pheasant Forever does provide seed to some projects, but only uses the mean seeds in there blend when it’s government mandated

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they should disband Pheasants Forever then. It doesnt make sense to me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe they should disband Pheasants Forever then. It doesnt make sense to me.
What? Pheasant Forever only puts it in to meet Government specs. The Feds required in CRP. They don’t put mean seeds in non CRP mixes and will gladly leave it out where they can.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
That miniature grain mix they sell is an absolutely killer food plot mix. The miniature Milo the miniature corn, it only grows about waist high it’s fabulous.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Reactions: NATTY BUMPO

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have dealt with nocardia a few times. There is a regimen that has great success in recovery from a vet out in Kansas.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe this post should have been titled "don't support Pheasants Forever"! I didnt know they used this and I dont think all other dog hunters know it either. I'm reading more about it on a bird dog group and they say PF is about bird habitat only and not about hunting, (especially hunting with dogs).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pheasant Forever is the “Habitat Organization “ they believe in putting habitat on the ground and improving existing habitat. All of that goes towards better hunter opportunities. I know very few PF People who are not pheasant hunters. Like I said before if it were up to PF there wouldn’t be mean seeds out there. Do you understand PFs platform? All money raised at the local level besides your annual membership stay local. For the local members to decide what to do with it. I am a committee person and try to be active in multiple organizations supporting pheasants. Trust me I’m a pheasant hunter. The only organization I know of that has a huge distaste for PH is some of the MPHI guys. I’m also on about all the pheasant hunting groups out there. So out of curiosity what group wants to disband Pheasant Forever?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Well I thought this thread was about Mean seeds. But it turns out it is about these "Limp Wrist" organizations PF, DU, RG, TU, Butterflies Forever and so on. I live in a rural county on southern Michigan. No Pheasants here in a county of less than 70,000 people Open space and water and shelter belts galore.
Hal

Reactions: sgc

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I thought this thread was about Mean seeds. But it turns out it is about these "Limp Wrist" organizations PF, DU, RG, TU, Butterflies Forever and so on. I live in a rural county on southern Michigan. No Pheasants here in a county of less than 70,000 people Open space and water and shelter belts galore.
Hal
Agree. Its wasted effort thats killing dogs. Pheasants aren't coming back the way they were in the old days. Those days are long gone. I cant, however, get past dog hunters supporting an effort that uses something that kills the dogs they hunt with. Its beyond belief. If i was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say it was an anti hunting plot with the twist that they've gotten hunters to support it. Now we have wolves introduced in the UP and that have made their way to the northern lower and grass seeds planted in the lower that both kill our dogs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sticks kill dogs too. Every year we hear about a dog getting a stick through its chest and dying. Should we disband RGS for encouraging forest cutting?

Every time we put a dog down there is a risk. Cars, cliffs, snakes, sticks and yes mean seeds. It up to the dog owners to be able to identify the risk and minimize it. Learn to steer clear of risk and do post run check ups. I had a dog killed by a raccoon years ago. Hated it. I’ve also learned from that tragedy of how to avoid it.
I will say it again. Pheasant Forever does not support putting mean seeds in grass mixes. It is the Federal Government that requires it. Petition the USDA.
I can’t understand why hunters have a issue with a group trying to increase habitat at no cost to them unless they wish to join?
BTW. On my crowing survey route, pheasant numbers are increasing over the last few years.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I'd probably put blue/green algae at the top.Stagnant water,
heat,phosphorus combined with nitrogen is the highest risk and comes on fast due to Liver failure and cardiac arrest.
It's common for people to let or lead there dogs to water underestimating the risks.
I had a dog hit by a rattlesnake here at my mom's place maybe 10 years ago.I still hunt it regularly for grouse without a second thought.We drive 80 miles an hour and hunt alone with a loaded firearm over a dog ripping through the slashing's/woods around an abundance of wildlife that can inflict great bodily harm at or around any corner.
Risk is a natural death. It is a part of life in every aspect in the natural world and we are drawn to it by human nature as we belong to it calling us from within ourselves.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts