Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were the heck are the bucks, seen 23 does last night. I got an 8 point last year in late season, he was in the rut. Anybody seeing any deer in the second rut yet?

Time is running out, I can only hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

How many people have killed a buck in the second rut????????

·
Registered
277 Posts
i havent seen but 1 deer and that was 2 days ago, and i jumped her on a bed but couldnt get a shot, but other than that nothing, i tell you what changeing hunting locations during the bow season was the biggest mistake i made this season,, but i think i have found some areas of state land that pretty much looks unhunted, hopefully before the end of the seasons ill score but if not no big deal at least i have somewhere to scout out more thoroughly this year and its only a 5 minute drive and that is the big plus for me,,

·
Registered
690 Posts
In my area they're going to be hard to pattern accurately. One night they (does with a buck following) come out on the south side of the property and the next week on the north side.

I set up where I think they will be and I end up spotting them 300 yds. away on the other side of the property. They haven't spotted me so I am curious why they seem to be picking their bedding areas at random.

The frustrating part is I have only limited days to hunt the evenings and can't get out in the mornings until 9:00. Tough to pattern them when you can't get out there...

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
we hunted hard a long weekend up in harrison , saw lots of does and one spike and he was chasing does? However we seen at the cabin bait pile 4 different bucks come in but all way after dark and not chasing does? Kind of nocturnal?

·
Registered
74 Posts
bvanzalen said:
I am curious why they seem to be picking their bedding areas at random.
Me too, I had the opportunity to get out this morning. Had bedding signs as I headed out, never bedded here before in 5 yrs of hunting this spot. Really close in to houses and people. Decided to look over their normal spot about 300 yrd away and could see the laydown outlines but the snow tells me about 3 days ago and no new activity, their tavel patterns seem screwed up..

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
In my opinon, your best bet to fill your tag this late in the season would be to hunt the food sources. Get there 2 hours before dark and be ready. There might be a few does comming into esterous late, even so, the place to look would be at the dinner table.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Last Sunday saw 3 bucks and about 40 does, one nice 6 pt chasing two fawns...the others were just packing in the corn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts