Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHEBOYGAN: Second of five sturgeon speared
300 people applied for lottery draw

Cheboygan County resident Cathy McCay, who has fished with a spear for several years, speared the first sturgeon on Saturday, a 22- pound, 48-inch male.

Hyde, 19, speared a 62- inch, 52-pound lake sturgeon Monday morning, the second of five fish that can be taken from the lake this year.

http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/feb/17sturg.htm

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was there saturday night and sunday night, 320 in drawing saturday night and 176 drawing sunday night. IT was a madhouse.
The snow and slush is makin it tough to get out on the ice on most of the lakes up there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When the dnr started this permit lottery they also lowered the minimun size from 50 inch to 36 inch.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed the size difference when I posted the article. When I saw the 48", I thought something wasn't quite right so I went to the DNR site to check. Sure enough it dropped down to 36". I was actually disappointed with that move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you should be disappointed there is a season at all. I think it is a shame we actually have a season on an endangered species at all.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Originally posted by StumpJumper
If you're gonna drop a spear on a sturgeon, shouldn't you be waiting for something at least in the 50lb = range?

22lbs? Thats a baby!
I agree, wait for a bigger one.

·
Banned
485 Posts
"McKay had the fish cleaned, dressed out and packed in the freezer for a fish fry she and her husband, Lance, will have with friends and neighbors."

People eat Sturgeon? What does it taste like and how do you cook it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts