Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the bay this morning with gail force winds. Not very many people out for being the second day which was nice. Situated ourselves between the 2-3ft whitecaps and a sandbar. Didnt shoot a single shot the first hour and half. Then.................. the birds started flying, especially the teal. Had flock after flock of teal decoying 15-30 yards in front of us. Flocks consisting of 5-25 in a flock were decoying for a good two hours straight. Ive come to the conclusion that the teal has to be the best duck to decoy. There isnt many other species that when you shoot at the flock they fan right up in your face straight up. It was my most memorable teal hunts I will never forget. Ended the day with 21 ducks and 1 goose. Ducks consisted of 2 mallards, 1 bluebill, 1 bw teal and 17 gw teal. Seen alot of ducks flying, couldnt get very many mallards to come in but we seen alot. It seemed like there were alot of divers way out but they may not of been divers. Usually, with that high of a wind those divers come in alot closer to shore. We were about a half mile south of where my brother was hunting opening day. He ended up with seven ducks and 2 geese. I will be back to the bay thurs-sunday. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Cool where abouts were you hunting? We hunted Sebewaing and the wind worked great for us and we ended up with 2 hen Mallards and a GW teal. I'll post the story later. Those GW's are sneaky little buggers:)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right off "the pt." Was there alot of boats where you were? My brother said opening day they were "lined up" they shot two ducks but when everyone else were leaving at 10:00 they shot 5ducks and 2 geese. Alot easier working birds Id say.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Nope we were hunting that small bay to the left of the river as you're going out and there were very few out there. Everyone that was out there was very nice and let everyones birds work.:)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You talking about the bay to the north of it ? My buddy hunted that marsh island , the one thats east in the bay when you go north. They have been hunting it every opening day for the past five years and usually do good. This year they didnt even take there safetys off. How was the water ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts