Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried several different seat cushions, but it never fails, my butt goes numb and I am too uncomfortable to stay in the stand. I looked at Cabelas and Gander Mountain but the ones that seem the best are $50 or $60 and I really do not want to spend that much on one.

Anyone have any suggestions on a homemade one or cheap one that works?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have found the most success with a home made version.

The problem I have found is that most cushions are either to hard or too soft. I took a cushion that was a little too firm and added some softer foam to it. Then I wrapped it with camo fabric. Works great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the one from hunt comfort. It was pricey to say the least but one of the best investments i have made. Really comfy for an all day sit. Well worth it to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Best one I ever found was 15 dollars at Meijers. It had a clip on strap and was one of those air kinds that you can turn a knob to let air in or out.

If ever hunting from ground you just keep it clipped on and when you sit down you already have a cushion.

Camo and black on the other side.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the best cushion ive had in a tree is what im using this year, a buddy gave me a peice of an old foam raft that they used to use in their pool, its kept me comfortable so far this season, its worked better than the cushions ive tried from meijers or gander mtn

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also use the foam raft material. It is about 2 inches thick. I rap mine with a piece of black rubber roofing material. That way you never get a wet ass and the squirrels seem to leave it alone better than the cloth covering that most seats have.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the squirrels seem to leave it alone better than the cloth covering that most seats have.
A can of beans the night before your first sit on the cushion does wonders too.

I use 2 of the 2 inch orange foam pads to comfort and heat my large ass.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have tried several different seat cushions, but it never fails, my butt goes numb and I am too uncomfortable to stay in the stand. I looked at Cabelas and Gander Mountain but the ones that seem the best are $50 or $60 and I really do not want to spend that much on one.

Anyone have any suggestions on a homemade one or cheap one that works?

Thanks.
I have the same problem. I use the laminated foam types...both thick and thin. These types tend to compress to a firmness level just short of cement. Feel great in the store and in your hands but after a short while, they are hard as can be. Not sure where I will look next.

However, lets look at the money issue. Understand that money is tight but not sure why someone is not willing to spend good money to be comfortable? How much do you spend on licenses? Equipment? What is your time in the field worth to you? Would you spend more time in the woods if your were comfortable? Probably! Whats that time worth? Lets say you spend $65 for a high end pad. If you take care of it and don't lose it it should last a long time. Lets say it lasts 6 years (probably last twice that!)...is $10.83 a year to much to spend on comfort? I just don't get the fact that people will spend a ton on clothing, weapons, licenses,etc, etc and then aren't willing to spend any money to make using all that equipment enjoyable. Ok, I'm off my soap box!!:D

I want to try this one out...cabelas is good with returns as well if it is not worth the money.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_227776&id=0046298228658a

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I bought a replacement seat cushion for a Gorilla treestand, best cushion I ever bought. I've tried the air valve cushion (leaked) and others, this one is by far the best. I think the model I bought was about $25.00, but worth every penny. There are a couple straps on the bottom of the cushion to attach it to the stand, but I just carry it back and forth to avoid getting wet, only takes 2 seconds to attach to my ladder stand.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same problem. I use the laminated foam types...both thick and thin. These types tend to compress to a firmness level just short of cement. Feel great in the store and in your hands but after a short while, they are hard as can be. Not sure where I will look next.

However, lets look at the money issue. Understand that money is tight but not sure why someone is not willing to spend good money to be comfortable? How much do you spend on licenses? Equipment? What is your time in the field worth to you? Would you spend more time in the woods if your were comfortable? Probably! Whats that time worth? Lets say you spend $65 for a high end pad. If you take care of it and don't lose it it should last a long time. Lets say it lasts 6 years (probably last twice that!)...is $10.83 a year to much to spend on comfort? I just don't get the fact that people will spend a ton on clothing, weapons, licenses,etc, etc and then aren't willing to spend any money to make using all that equipment enjoyable. Ok, I'm off my soap box!!:D

I want to try this one out...cabelas is good with returns as well if it is not worth the money.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_227776&id=0046298228658a

Because if you can save money, why not do it? I am sure the $60 ones are amazing but if I can save money and get the same comfort, I will do it. There is also a degree of satisfaction that comes with making your own equipment and it actually works.

That one from Cabelas seems great though, but that's a last resort for me.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Because if you can save money, why not do it? I am sure the $60 ones are amazing but if I can save money and get the same comfort, I will do it. There is also a degree of satisfaction that comes with making your own equipment and it actually works.

That one from Cabelas seems great though, but that's a last resort for me.
No doubt, and I don't disagree one bit. My point was don't be too quick to put a monetary value on your comfort and enjoyment of the outdoors!! If spending an extra $25-$30 is going to buy you more time in the outdoors, it's a bargain!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts