Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transplanted here from Southern Illinois. Family ran a waterfowl operation for over 20 yrs. of which I was a guide foe about 17yrs. Not looking to start a club or anything like that, 9dont need that head ache). Looking for somebody to hunt with that know the area. I have a few decoys and some calls, no dog though... Just drop me a line, Very interested to talk to you !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What city are you close to? I moved to southwest mi (berrien springs) from the east side about 7 years ago. Be prepared to be disappointed by ducks. The goose hunting cam be ok

Sent from my SM-J737V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I live in Battle Creek... I like to duck hunt but that is just something you do till the geese start flying...LOL Im willing to drive a hour to a 1.5 hrs. to hunt...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Welcome to the area.

It ain’t no duck club ‘round here...

But there are opportunities

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the area.

It ain’t no duck club ‘round here...

But there are opportunities

Yeah I noticed that. Heard of a club around St.Joe but haven't been able to find out anything about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought when I moved up here that all I needed to do was find a Cattail marsh or slough and set up housekeeping and I would be all set... That is proving to be easier said than done...;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can totally relate. Back home the larger commercial club had some political pull and the lines changed every 3-5 yrs. Don't matter where the lines are drawn, if there isn't any birds...

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
One cool thing here is pretty much any species you can shoot in north America, has been shot in Michigan. The variety of hunting is ridiculous. I've ran traps and jump shot woodies in the morning and shot oldsquaw four miles out in Lake Michigan trolled the beach on the way back in and caught trout.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill bloody my knuckles knocking on doors but Im sure Ill find a spot eventually...LOL

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Allegan and Barry County State Game areas have tons of public land.

The Ottawa Marsh near Fennville is interesting. Tough nut to crack. Has its own rules.

The Fennville Farm Unit and Muskegon Wastewater have managed hunts via draw and some walk in only at Fennville, this year being weird due to the 'Rona.

Our riparian trespass laws for hunting water are asinine and maddening. This coming from a guy with waterfront property. There's a sticky post at the top of this forum. Pour a stiff drink and budget a while. If you don't drink you'll want to after reading through that.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Michigan riparian law is terrible. I’d almost hate to own waterfront property. All the neighbors do is fight each other and all the “ back row” deeded access.

Reactions: GooseDude

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Good luck. I have a honey hole that produces limits of wood ducks if you can shoot fast. Occasional mallards. I don’t think it is uncommon but you need to own it as there is very little public hunting in SW Michigan.

I am a member in a very old club at the big bend. Phenomenal duck hunting. Nothing like it in Michigan.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Transplanted here from Southern Illinois. Family ran a waterfowl operation for over 20 yrs. of which I was a guide foe about 17yrs. Not looking to start a club or anything like that, 9dont need that head ache). Looking for somebody to hunt with that know the area. I have a few decoys and some calls, no dog though... Just drop me a line, Very interested to talk to you !
welcome!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I’m around Battle Creek. Welcome!

As some have said, there is plenty of good to great duck hunting in Michigan. Trouble is, it’s scattered all over in various forms and locations.

In the immediate area, you’ll have to gain access to a private pond, field, marsh, slough, etc. That’s a very difficult thing to do. It’s possible, but most places are long since spoken for and usually for the purpose of deers hunting. There are some opportunities around but I’ll leave that to you to suss out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
People complain about the duck hunting here in Michigan but honestly I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The public hunting isn't bad after the openers and you can still get duck hunting permission from most landowners by being nice. Now the spot you may be hunting might not get the 100 mallard tornadoes that you experience in Arkansas or the Dakota's but the way I see it I've only got three shells to throw at em and if there was a spot where duck activity was that good on a regular basis chances are I wouldn't be hunting it very long before the big money guys ran me out.

This state has more public hunting than anywhere east of the Mississippi. There are more than enough ducks to go around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
In the immediate area, you’ll have to gain access to a private pond, field, marsh, slough, etc. That’s a very difficult thing to do. It’s possible, but most places are long since spoken for and usually for the purpose of deers hunting. There are some opportunities around but I’ll leave that to you to suss out.
Alas, in Michigan everything is secondary to deer hunting. I've had the best success gaining permission acknowledging that when approaching landowners.
Typically I might approach the topic like:

Landowner: well, I don't know, I got some people deer hunting back there...

Me: Well that's Ok, how about if I came into your primo river bottom slough FROM THE WATER using the boat launch NEVER SETTING FOOT IN THE BEDDING AREA.

Landowner: You would be hunting from a boat and not the land?

Me:. ABSOLUTELY, from my low profile layout...FROM THE WATER.

Landowner:. Well I guess that would be alright if you are in the water.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW !!! Thanks for all the support and advice... You all are great !!!

Foe myself I would be happy with a spot I could manage 25 to 40 ducks a year and a handful of geese as a bonus. Not looking to set the world on fire or to run and gun like these twenty somethings... LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a different note... How close are we to having a Sandhill season???

Ive heard that it was couple years away, but that was last summer. I know we are more likely to get a season on Sandhills that on Doves...

·
Registered
457 Posts
On a different note... How close are we to having a Sandhill season???

Ive heard that it was couple years away, but that was last summer. I know we are more likely to get a season on Sandhills that on Doves...
It'll never happen. Not in today's political climate. Not in a world where millions of dollars pour in from coastal libs. It's not enough for them to regulate every aspect of people's lives in the places they live they still need to spend their time and money to control people they've never met in states they would never visit. It's not just the doves, we lost the wolf hunt too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts