Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully posting this will help me cope...who knows.

Thursday night I had a dream or premonition of shooting a Harli on the Saturday opener. Pretty nuts, right?

Friday morning found me, Big R, and goosemanrdk scouting potential spots for the weekend. We were basically shoulder to shoulder when it happened.

No more than 10yds away flys a drake harli from right to left about 6 inches off the water. I made the quick decision that I would be back to that general location the next day....Big R agreed.

About an hour in after harvesting some nice birds of another species, we decided to pour some coffee. We all parted with our guns to do so and guess what happened not 10 seconds later?

Right through the decoys and over our heads and gone forever...

My question is how do I cope with the feeling of emptiness? I mean I dreamed about this 2 nites prior!!! We had the bird in gun range the day prior. Then on the 1st, we/I blew it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just think on the bright side...at least thanks to some birder's observations, there is a very good chance the harli made it and some yokel down the way didn't shoot him who wouldn't have known what it was. I hear ya though, at least once an hour I think about seeing that duck not one day but TWO days in a row and one of the days when we could've shot it!!! Well seeing as I don't have 3 grand laying around for a trip to Alaska, all I can do is play that scene over and over in my head for the next year!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Look on the brightside...if you would have had your gun in hand, you probably would have missed. At least this way you don't have that on your conscience.

Lol....that sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
sorry bud - that sucks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Had the same thing happen to us this year on a mature drake longtail. We have shot a couple of them, but have never gotten a mature drake. I was messing around in the front of the boat, untying the rope so we could go retrieve a drake goldeneye we just dumped. As I turned around to sit back down, the squaw came sliding right over the spread at about 20 yards. Of course my gun was cased and unloaded.:rant: While squaws are much more common in Michigan than harlis, I definitely feel a little bit of the pain you must feel. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Im always left wanting more...I hate when duck season ends.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Just think on the bright side...at least thanks to some birder's observations, there is a very good chance the harli made it and some yokel down the way didn't shoot him who wouldn't have known what it was. I hear ya though, at least once an hour I think about seeing that duck not one day but TWO days in a row and one of the days when we could've shot it!!! Well seeing as I don't have 3 grand laying around for a trip to Alaska, all I can do is play that scene over and over in my head for the next year!
you'll be lucky if it's in your head for only a year!!...Andy

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
My question is how do I cope with the feeling of emptiness? I mean I dreamed about this 2 nites prior!!! We had the bird in gun range the day prior. Then on the 1st, we/I blew it.
heck that's easy; You cope by finding some solace in the fact that another guy down the line dropped it STONE DEAD! Probably made their entire year and likely on it's way to the Taxi right now, just grinning from ear to ear....

there now, don't you feel better?

:mischeif:

(btw: it was probably banded too)

~~~~~
when this happens to me, I try the Ball-Peen Hammer approach.
It usually knocks some sense into the mellon from that point on.
:bash:

you never, ever leave the shotty! :p

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Same kind of thing happened to me but only it was a speck........
It just leaves ya wanting it even more and it Will Not go away.
It's been three or four years and I'm still thinking about it, and wanting that speck even more........ Welcome.......:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Resorted to google searches for these critters...doesn't help really.

For some reason I also have Squints from the movie "The Sandlot" in my head going..."For-ev-er, for-ev-er, for-ev-er...." As in it will not happen again in my lifetime...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q"]YouTube - Forever[/ame]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts