Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone here targets sea ducks. I just moved to Michigan and have duck hunted for 17 years and love it. I have only shot a few sea ducks that have flown through some of MN swamps and was wondering if anyone that does target them might want an extra hunter along sometime. I will pay for gas and am also open to a guided hunt, but I really don't want to target divers. I really just want sea ducks. Thanks in advance and if possible help a fellow hunter out. Thank you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not many sea ducks in Michigan.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hey I was wondering if anyone here targets sea ducks. I just moved to Michigan and have duck hunted for 17 years and love it. I have only shot a few sea ducks that have flown through some of MN swamps and was wondering if anyone that does target them might want an extra hunter along sometime. I will pay for gas and am also open to a guided hunt, but I really don't want to target divers. I really just want sea ducks. Thanks in advance and if possible help a fellow hunter out. Thank you!
There were a lot of Ole Squaw hanging around last year. Have one coming back from the taxidermy soon!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
you might find a few in saginaw bay or southern lake mi but not any up north here
There are more around than you think. (Unless this post was made to throw him off the trail of "your" birds?)

There are a few guys on this site that regularly target old squaw and scoters in Lake Superior, Lake Huron, and Northern Lake Michigan, and they do pretty well judging by the pictures that have been posted.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Several regulars on this site target "long tails", but they're not going to openly talk about it. And the Lake Michigan shoreline has been reported to see major build-ups in late fall/winter (according to the DNR). So yes, there are lots around...just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I know is I really want to do some mid to late November hunting for some sea ducks and am going to try to do anything I can to get on some birds!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
if anyone tells you there are no birds out there they are straight up lieing to you. but on the flip side it is no place for a rookie that has not experienced the big water(not saying you are). but it can get nasty really really fast out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I know these lakes can get nasty fast I lived on the Minnesota shore of lake superior for 3 years and fished it a lot but couldn't really duck hunt it because MN had a no layout boat law until this year(the year I moved), I really don't know much about these lakes I would have to assume they can be just as nasty as superior though if they want to be. That is also why I am trying to get someone to chime in an possibly help me out. Im going to hook up with a guide service around thanksgiving but would like to go out more than just that one or two times.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You just have top remember they build really quick. Fished lake Michigan my whole life and it doesn't build nearly as quick as Huron.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
there are all ways scoter around...I see the majority of sea ducks while I'm fishing first ice lol..
far as nasty goes Saginaw bay is the worst body of water I've seen...big rolling waves on the big lakes are cake compared to the choppy crap the bay dishes out...
Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_988 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
there are all ways scoter around...I see the majority of sea ducks while I'm fishing first ice lol..
far as nasty goes Saginaw bay is the worst body of water I've seen...big rolling waves on the big lakes are cake compared to the choppy crap the bay dishes out...
Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_988 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Try hunting and fishing the Western basin of Lake Erie, lot worse than Sag Bay, because once you get to the outer Bay the trawth get further apart, where Erie does not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Something is fishy about this thread anyways!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Yea I know these lakes can get nasty fast I lived on the Minnesota shore of lake superior for 3 years and fished it a lot but couldn't really duck hunt it because MN had a no layout boat law until this year(the year I moved), I really don't know much about these lakes I would have to assume they can be just as nasty as superior though if they want to be. That is also why I am trying to get someone to chime in an possibly help me out. Im going to hook up with a guide service around thanksgiving but would like to go out more than just that one or two times.
Those who also fish know very well that shallower bodies of water are often rougher than deeper waters. As was said, Saginaw Bay is terrible at times, even in a few feet of water. Houghton Lake is another...very shallow, but mighty nasty. Lake Michigan is a whole other type of nasty due to the west winds.

Bottom line is there are plenty of sea ducks to be had. But as was said, it's not something that most should be doing because they don't have the gear to withstand those elements.

And be mighty careful about using a "guide". Lots of people call themselves guides, but really aren't going to give you a quality experience. My advice...word of mouth is one of the best references, so I would ask for opinions and references, such as on this site, before you book anything.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
There are huntable birds but the kind of hunting to get them is not for amatuers, nor poor people.
You need large, expensive reliable boats, radios, floatation equipment, redundant anchors and experienced crew.
If you are bound and determined watch the pictures coming in this fall and when you see what you are looking for, PM the person to see what is possible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts