Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's with all this algae that looks like nasty muck floating on the water. It's choked out a lot of the Huron River and other small ponds and lakes in Washtenaw County. Does anyone have any tips for fishing in it? It seems to cover everything I throw at it. I don't know how the fish survive. If anybody has any tips, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

TP

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'd never seen it all that mucky a bit N of Ann Arbor (Dexter and such). Might want to check those areas out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you like bass fishing get one of those weedless frog lures & throw it on top of the algae mats. Jerk then stop...jerk then stop work the frog all the way from shore to the edge or vice versa. The goal is to make it look like a frog hopping.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Texas rig a plastic crawdad or beaver tail and put 1/2 or 3/4 ounce bullet weight on it. And pitch it in there and and jig it. You will most likely catch some bass if they are there. Or a top water frogs works too.

Good Luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know what's causing it, but the algae bloom is definitely worse this year than I can remember it for the last several. I've been coping by fishing topwater frogs and shallow cranks/rapalas. Also pitching jigs or t-rigged creatures has produced a few for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts