Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me why everyone trolls downstream in the SCR for salmon? It would seem like going upstream would be more productive keeping the lures in the zone longer, and going much slower. any input???

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
When trolling in the normal manner, the only way I have caught fish has been trolling downstream. Maybe it makes the fish react to the bait before it gets away. Handlining, I have had the best luck turning upstream, quartering the current, headed toward shore. Just my observations.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'VE FOUND THAT THE BAITS RUN A LITTLE BETTER , FOR ME GOING UP STREAM THE BAITS SEEM TO CURVE OFF A LITTLE AND THE WOBBEL BAITS SHAKE RATHER THAN WOBBLE , SOME GUYS SAY WHATEVER .
THE BOAT HANDLES BETTER ALSO, GOOD FISHING WITH WHAT EVER YOU DO UP OR DOWN.

EDDIE A/K/A MING MING :cool:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Two reasons

#1 - It is much easier to control your boat going down stream at that slow of speed.

#2 - The best spot is on the bank. Having people go both ways just makes it a huge problem trying to stay on that bank. It sucks when you have 90% of the boat going down stream and then some other guy that need to be different messing in up for that 90% pushing everyone off the bank.

It is best to try to match your speed to everyone else. If you have to pass, pass on the outside toward the middle of the river.

No big planarboards either. You run those and the local will run them over... on purpose. You might get away with running one inline. But dont expect people to have to fish around it. There really is no reason to run a planar rod anyways. As Walter Sobchak in the Big Lebowski said,"This isn't Nam...There are rules."

Remember you are only allowed 2 rods in the river.

Good Luck

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mike, are you kidding me? NO big Planer boards?

You are missing out on the best river fishing.....

We always run a planer board to the inside (starboard) while trolling downstream. The only time we would have a problem if there is a guy drift fishing that is going slower- and then we just go around to the outside or middle of the river. The key is to watch out for the dock lines (and the channel markers- every year there is some orange and green lines tangled around them).

Who wrote that rule????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts