Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To troll the SCR w BB and Harnesses what is a good speed to maintain. Also am I correct that in order to have a 45 deg angle would you multiple your depth x 1.66

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
As for troll speed, I like 2.5 to 3.5 on the GPS. It depends on your location, wind direction, etc. The idea is to be slightly faster than current speed so that your spinner blade works in the current.

As for the 45 degree angle, that is correct, but, the formula that you use is from Pythagorean’s theorem. That is A² + B² = C². Where A is the distance in feet from the tip of the rod to the bottom. Since you are trying to achieve 45 degree angle A = B. So, C can be solved by the taking the square root of A² + B². So for a distance of 25 feet from the tip to the bottom in order to achieve a 45 degree angle let out approximatley 35.35 feet of line.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like to keep it simple. Set your line in the water and adjust your speed to the blade is turning. If you have an electric it is very easy. Last year drifting harnesses off bottom bouncers 4 times further back than you think was hot early. The later in the year it went back to "normal" trolling was better. Good luck

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I would think if you just go fast enough to make the spinner turn, then let out enough line to tap the bottom, you should be good. :)
Leave all that figuring to the school kids and just catch fish. :lol:
Rich

·
Registered
948 Posts
scubajay said:
As for the 45 degree angle, that is correct, but, the formula that you use is from Pythagorean’s theorem. That is A² + B² = C². Where A is the distance in feet from the tip of the rod to the bottom. Since you are trying to achieve 45 degree angle A = B. So, C can be solved by the taking the square root of A² + B². So for a distance of 25 feet from the tip to the bottom in order to achieve a 45 degree angle let out approximatley 35.35 feet of line.
Holy Cow!:SHOCKED: If I thought I had to figure that out to go fishing, I would take up golf! Wait --I do golf :tdo12: , but anyway, that is a lot of math for a relaxing fishing trip. You are probably right, but isnt there an easier figure, like 1 oz of lead to 10 ft water? and just fast enough to turn the blades. That seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that I would quit fishing if it was that complicated for my simple mind. Here is how I was computing the math. 3-4-5 same way to get a square corner.

·
Administrator
26,855 Posts
Easy way to figure the 45*. For every 5 ft of depth, let out 7 ft of line.(35 FOW, let out 49ft of line.

Or take your depth and add to that 50% of the depth and substract a couple of ft. (will get you close) 35 FOW + 17.5= 52.5ft Subtract a few ft and your at 49ft.

You need not be dragging the bottom. Even a ft. or two up, walleye will come up and get it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dang! I must really be a country bumpkin....

All I do is put the harness in the water and watch the blades. You can't really go strickly by gps speed as the current vary greatly in the river depending on where you are. Even in the same stretch of river the current speed will vary from the deep water to the shallow. As long as you are going a little bit faster than the current you should be ok. As in any kind of fishing vary your speed and presentation until you begin to catch fish. Then make a mental note of what you were doing. After a few trips you'll figure it out. :)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
FishTales said:
I would think if you just go fast enough to make the spinner turn, then let out enough line to tap the bottom, you should be good. :)
Leave all that figuring to the school kids and just catch fish. :lol:
Rich
:yeahthat: I went fishing last year with slick fishing (on this site) and this is what he did but he also paid attention to his GPS speed. I took what I learn from Slick and it help me a lot. I'm getting ready to go over to SCR soon to catch some of Slick's fish. Thanks again Slick.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Can somebody please help with the size of BB being used? How long are the harnesses? A picture or a PM would do wonders for a rookie trolling harness on the SCR. What about handlining with a harness? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Can somebody please help with the size of BB being used? How long are the harnesses? A picture or a PM would do wonders for a rookie trolling harness on the SCR. What about handlining with a harness? Thanks for any info.
I used 4 oz'ers. 3' to 6' leaders.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
My ideal speed is 2.0 to 2.5 gps I use 3 or 4 oz bottom bouncers and your harness lenght can vary it can be 3' to 4' it all up to what you like to run.. When the harness bite first gets going on the river I would not run faster than 1.8 on the gps the water is still cold and they might not wanna chase the harness so fast so I keep it slow..

But during the summer 2.3 mph is my go to number, but thats just me:lol: ..Cya Slick

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Get_Outside said:
Slick is the man with the plan!! :p
If I had any plan I should have been on the water this morning it's freaking nice out side where is this rain they where all talking about:dizzy: Cya Slick

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Regarding speed in the river, we were around Marysville Sunday pm, and reading the GPS just drifting with the current was 1.7 to 1.8 mph, so I barely kicked in the motor and got 2 - 2.3. Seemed a bit fast with the motor based on blade action on the harnesses (fish seemed a bit sluggish on the bite) so we shut the motor off and just drifted...did okay.

We used red beads with either silver or gold hammered blades. What colors in harnesses are you guys finding hot?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
My best color by far is gold on gold or chrome on chrome but a clown blade is another favorite color...Cya Slick

·
Registered
163 Posts
The other day, we ran the Slick Special (gold beads & clown blades) on one side and green beads and blades on the other side. Green caught all the fish for us. But that's just me. Just check the pics in Slicks posts for proof of his set up. We stayed between 1.9 and 2.1 for speed and used 3 oz BB.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
newtothervr said:
The other day, we ran the Slick Special (gold beads & clown blades) on one side and green beads and blades on the other side. Green caught all the fish for us. But that's just me. Just check the pics in Slicks posts for proof of his set up. We stayed between 1.9 and 2.1 for speed and used 3 oz BB.

Good Luck!
Thats funny Newtothervr Gilly will love to hear you caught them on green because I think thats his favorite color:lol: Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Do any of you pull a harness while pulling wire?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts