Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up before 6:00 this morning but sat and drank coffee and waited for the fog to clear. Launched at the city ramp around 8:30 and had to weave thru a decent amount of debris floating in the harbor. Big river is clear and free of floating weeds and debris. 64 degrees on the graph. I started jigging shallow 23’-27’ and managed 1-2 fish per drift including SM bass and a sucker. Ended up catching 7 walleye 15-19” (14”r released). The bite was consistent in about 200yd stretch of river. Antifreeze jig with melon belly (brown w/ green specks) plastic. Medium speed upstroke with a very slow down stroke seemed to work best. Back to ramp at 10:15.
Wood Grey Rectangle Composite material Fish

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Thanks for the great report @Brian027 ! Thinking about giving it a go this evening.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Up before 6:00 this morning but sat and drank coffee and waited for the fog to clear. Launched at the city ramp around 8:30 and had to weave thru a decent amount of debris floating in the harbor. Big river is clear and free of floating weeds and debris. 64 degrees on the graph. I started jigging shallow 23’-27’ and managed 1-2 fish per drift including SM bass and a sucker. Ended up catching 7 walleye 15-19” (14”r released). The bite was consistent in about 200yd stretch of river. Antifreeze jig with melon belly (brown w/ green specks) plastic. Medium speed upstroke with a very slow down stroke seemed to work best. Back to ramp at 10:15.
View attachment 791248
Nice, might try whipping if I get time to take a break from the perch.
Thank you for the good report.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thanks guys for the info trying to get familiar with all these other launches on the river besides Algonac and Marine City👍

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
huh might have to give it one more shot. It was good up there late into summer than died off for me. algonac been decent bigger lake fish

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hit the river again yesterday evening. Boated 12-14 walleye and a couple bass. Kept 5 (released a lot of skinny 14”rs or smaller) and lost another 8-10 halfway up or at the net. Earlier seems to be better bite (5:00-6:00pm). Sharp stinger hook is important as several fish tried to rip the plastic off the jig with short bites. Water is now 63 degrees on the graph.

·
Administrator
17,950 Posts
Hit the river again yesterday evening. Boated 12-14 walleye and a couple bass. Kept 5 (released a lot of skinny 14”rs or smaller) and lost another 8-10 halfway up or at the net. Earlier seems to be better bite (5:00-6:00pm). Sharp stinger hook is important as several fish tried to rip the plastic off the jig with short bites. Water is now 63 degrees on the graph.
Awesome! What area of the river?
<----<<<

1 - 19 of 19 Posts