Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and just getting back into fishing. Reading alot of the threads here looking for info on how and/or what methods are used to fish the river. Anyone know of any good sites or locations to check out? Thanks!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Welcome! I started out on this site about this same time last year looking for the same info. I live in Algonac and have been gathering knowledge on fishing the SCR from the boardwalk. Try an do a search for some old threads using the words "shore" and "St Clair." One of my favorites I found was this:
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40205&highlight=algonac+wall

I actually ended up meeting the guy who started that thread and he has taught me even more since then. Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
What specie of fish are you after?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Dialtone said:
Welcome! I started out on this site about this same time last year looking for the same info. I live in Algonac and have been gathering knowledge on fishing the SCR from the boardwalk. Try an do a search for some old threads using the words "shore" and "St Clair." One of my favorites I found was this:
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40205&highlight=algonac+wall

I actually ended up meeting the guy who started that thread and he has taught me even more since then. Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there.
That link that you posted on wall walking was great, no down time!!! You get 'em coming and going!!! I will be trying that this year!!:D

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Welcome aboard Josh! Lurking is fun, but membership has it's advantages. Lots of knowledgable guys here and now you can ask questions. Probably beats asking that clown at work all the time.:rolleyes:

Harry

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
ficious said:
Welcome aboard Josh! Lurking is fun, but membership has it's advantages. Lots of knowledgable guys here and now you can ask questions. Probably beats asking that clown at work all the time.:rolleyes:

Harry
HEY!!! I've always tried to steer Josh in the right direction!!!:D

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
ficious said:
Let me see now Mark....you're saying you wouldn't Josh him????
Oh, always with the jokes , eh ficious.:lol:

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist. Maybe he could tag along next time you go "off the wall"?? Or would that be "off the deep end"?

He's a good guy looking to learn the how to's, mostly walleye for now I think. Lives close too. Now that I've hijacked his thread, let's return to topic.

Harry

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Yup, you're right Harry. He lives close to a good zone.;) He could start in St.Clair behind the restaurant. Only dark side is that he knows that Syyyyyyyylvester character.:16suspect

looking for eye's Kirk.;)

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
I tawt I taw a puddy tat......MUSSST STOPPPP. FOCUS.........

There we go, yes, I see people casting from that corner every time I launch, don't have time to see if they have anything. The fact that they are there must mean someone is getting something.

Harry

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
C'mon guys...SUFFERIN' SUCCOTASH!!!:D
Give a guy a break, will ya'?:bonk:

And by the way joeker...I AM THAT SYLVESTER GUY!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a day today, or is it night time now. All blends together. Gotta love Midnight shift! :dizzy: My Dad sold his boat about 8 years ago (back surgery and couldn't handle the rocking back and forth) and is now officially retired and I want to get him back involved with fishing. I want to start picking some knowledge and experience on the river. I live 2 minutes from the Voyager and just want to fish for fun. Take some walleye home when possible. Willing to listen and/or try all methods. Thanks all.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Hey guys, I live real far from the SCR but I was thinking about stopping down there for the day to try my luck... I was wondering where I can fish publicly off the shore.. I've been searching the forums here for a while, google, and google earth and I can't seem to find where the Algonac boardwalk is. If I drive down to River Rd in Algonac and just drive along it, will I find a few public fishing spots?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Couple of ways to fish the river. Casting or long line. There are boardwalks at St Clair, Algonac and Port Huron. At each one long lining would entail different weights. Simple setup - weight and leader. In PH we use 1 1/2 to 2 lb weights, dependant on current, 20 lb. + line. Leaders any where from 3 - 5 ft. Generally hang a bell on the end of the rod to indicate a strike. Noticed over the last couple years some folks are now using lights at night instead of bells. Can be bought in the bicycle dept of Meijers or some other big box. Thinking behind the Voyager your looking at a couple onces. JD - long lining is a lot less work and more laid back. Guessing it would be better suited for your father.

Casting.......... Can be done at any of these boardwalks. Some like to walk the wall in Port Huron instead of casting and this method does surprisingly produce when the eye's are in. Generally I start in mid April around the Marysville area. 3/8 to 1/2 oz. dependant on conditions. Pink or orange jighead with a 6" white culprit tail. There's always more to it but you learn as you go along. I'm sure there are others here that can definately add to what I've got put down. Just keep watching the forums for when things start picking up for those of us that are land locked.;) If I can help or you have any questions just PM me or post it.

One other thing................ watch that ficious fella........he's a baaaaaad influence !:lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey moz, can't wait to wash some lures with ya, we might even get that clown at work to come out and show us a thing or three! I know, i know, i'm trying not to bring it up harry. but hey, welcome back into the world of fishing! hope you don't enjoy sleeping, this midnight shift thing is going to be interesting!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
fish sniper said:
hey moz, can't wait to wash some lures with ya, we might even get that clown at work to come out and show us a thing or three! I know, i know, i'm trying not to bring it up harry. but hey, welcome back into the world of fishing! hope you don't enjoy sleeping, this midnight shift thing is going to be interesting!

clown at work Heh-heh-heh .................. I can only guess of whom your referring to !!:lol: Wouldn't be that catficious fella
would it .:16suspect

1 - 20 of 20 Posts