Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some time to kill before some work in Mt. Clemens so I took the shore drive down to check launch/ice conditions.
No ice seen in the SCR. No docks in at St. Clair or Marine City, no ice. Algonac gates were closed. Fairhaven still had ice for about 1/4-1/2 mile. No ice/no docks at Brandenburg and SANG. Water levels look a little higher than what I remember them to be about this time last year. I was thinking about breaking out the boat this weekend and just not using any livewells but I think I will wait a little longer. I did take a ride around Harsens also. West side canals had skim ice and the ramp right after Browns was open water(small boat). East side canals had some open water but talked to the only guy I saw and he did not do anygood. I plan on doing some shore fishing somewhere tomorrow afternoon but don't know where yet. Would the Spillway be anygood this early???

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
HEY TRAVIS THANKS FOR MAKING THE ROAD TRIP AND THE REPORT .
I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE TRIP TODAY , MAYBE PUT IN THIS FRIDAY FOR SOME GILLS AT SANG .
BUT THINK I'LL WAIT AND TIE NEW LEADERS FOR THE UP COMING WHIPPIN SEASON.

A/K/A MING MING

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brandenburg had skim ice around the pier this morning. I went to the mouth of the Clinton and tried it for a couple of hours but had no hits. I have to go out of town late next week now so my first trip will probably be to the Trenton channel the week of 3-22 if the weather allows.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Seems like everyone is in a holding pattern right now. I don't blame ya with this cold weather I have never done any good the first time out except freeze my a off and usually just turns into a shakdown run. Think warm weather cuz this winter is getting old.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hey guys the dock "IS IN" in Saint Clair.. The Border patrol boat is the first in the marina.. I just thought I would clarify this update.. Cya Slick fishin

·
Registered
985 Posts
Was just wondering. I went by the ramp in Marine City last weekend and it was still up on shore.

I'm itching to get in there and do some handlining.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
ALL OF PORT HURON RAMPS ARE OPEN , MARYSVILLE IS OPEN BUT I THINK IT'S EARLY FOR WIRE BUT MAYBE NOT .
I CAN'T WAIT FOR WHIPPEN THATS MY MAIN STAY .

TALK TO YA
:cool: EDDIE

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just started whipping last year. My neighbor loaned me a couple rods and took my son and I out a couple times. Its nicer that hand lining when I want to take my boys. Havent had nearly the luck whipping though. Guess I'm still in the learning curve.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
IT'S ALOT EASIER WITH THE KIDS IN TOW OR THE ROD HOLDER IS WHAT I CALLED MY BOYS .
I THINK IT IS LOCATION THEY SEEM TO HANG IN THE HOLES , BUT I'VE ALSO CAUGHT THEM ALONG THE FLATS .
ALOT OF TIME IT'S BEEN THE LENGTH OF THE DROPPER MOST TIMES IT'S 2 FEET AND AS MUCH AS 4 FEET AND THEN THERES THE COLOR PATTERN .
SOME CALL IT MEAT HOGGEN BUT I THINK IT'S A MORE INVOLED THAN THAT ,BUT WHAT THE HECK .
MAYBE WE CAN GO TOGETHER SOME TIME AND I'LL SEND YA A PM WHEN IT'S TIME .

LATER FOR NOW,

EDDIE A/K/A MING MING :cool:

·
Registered
985 Posts
That works for me. Need to go buy some rods. The neighbor has been really good about not wanting his back but thats not my style. We fished in a couple places up and down the river from Marine City. Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hey guys the dock for the city of Saint Clair off of pine river is in..

Whipping is a whole lot of fun, I have also used droppers as long as 6'and as short as 2' , remember what do the walleye do when it is dark out they get higher in the water collom.. I still have a frezzer full from last year, that is how many fish we caught..

I myself and not going to put my boat in for another 30 to 40 days even tho I would love to have it in already, (Cabin fever) but the water looks to be still a little low in my boat slip.. I found myself hurring every year to get my boat in the water and I really did not need to.. Well good luck to everyone and have fun.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
HEY G.O. PROBAIT IN PORT HURON HAAVE WHIPPING RODS INSTOCK TOMORROW THIER HAVING A BIG SALE WITH SOME FACTORY REPS. TO ANSWER QUESTION HOT DOGS FOR LUNCH.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
SLICK - FISHING YOU ST. CLAIR BOYS LIVE FOR WHIPPEN ,I CUT MY TEETH THERE .
I LEARNED FROM A LOCAL GUY DOWN THAT WAY. IT'S USUALLY DARK IN THAT PART OF RIVER NOT TO MANY LIGHTS LIKE UP HERE IN PORT HURON .
HEY GIVE THEM FISH TO THE CHURCH IT'S LENT LOL
TALK TO YA WHEN THEY START UP IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS .

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hey there Ed yes it is nice and dark down here in Saint Clair.. I like to whip and bottom bounce, those are my two favorite ways to fill my frezzer with walleye.

Dont you ever worry between my father and friends and my annual fish fry I have at my house every year walleye never seems to go to waste.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
HEY SLICK GIVE ME THE HEADS UP ON THE FISH FRY AND I'LL
BRING SOME BIG JUMBIE PERCH THAT I CAUGHT AT GENO'S .

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks for the headsup. Just got your reply this morning. Was up in Tawas over the weekend. Where is that sporting good store? Maybe I can head up there tonight after work. How long of a rod do you guys use? Line?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
HEY G.O.ANDERSEN'S PROBAIT IS ON PINE GPOVE AND GARFIELD ST. OFF OF I94 MAKE A RIGHT ON GARFIELD GO TO FIRST STOP SIGN MAKE A RIGHT AND IT'S RIGHT THEY WILL HOOK YOU UP WITH EVERY THING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED AND NOT TAKE YOU TO MILL . STINGER FISHES DOWN THER DAILY AND CAN ALSO TELL YA WHAT YOU MAY NEED . HIS MAIN STAY IS EDISON PARK .ANY OTHER ? JUST SHOOT.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts