Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing the SCR for quit a few years now and this is by far the worst year for fish numbers. We're using the same techniques, fishing the Algonac/South channel area in the same places, using the same colors that we used in past years and having limited success this year. In past years, the fish have always come with relative ease. Last year in 14 trips to the river, we boated (2/3 guys) on average 12 fish per trip with several limits (I kept records). This year we're about half that with no limits. One thing is for sure, the fish seem to be deeper this year. Any one else experiencing the same thing?

·
Banned
999 Posts
Nope no problems here I fish Algonac all the time this year has been awsome , did really good in April and May probly caught at least 100 walleye just jigging and another 50 or so dragging crawlers the past month 😝

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
When I was jigging I still caught plenty of fish but "LIMITS" didn't come as easy as the last 10 years.Now that I'm whipping I can not limit and the last few years the whipping has been incredibly easy.And yes the fish have been deeper.Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well sorry to say but, I'm glad to here that others that have fished the SCR for years have had some issues catching eye's this year.
This is only my second season fishing it. Mainly I fish up river from about Sombra/Marine City to the mouth of the river at Lake Huron mostly Stag Island area. I fished the South Channel last summer out front of Seaway Island drifting harnesses with quite a few successful days(limits) I usually am fishing on my own.
The depth change that you mentioned is something I have noticed this year, fishing 30 - 45 fow has been the norm for me this spring so far, but last season I found I didn't have to go any deeper than about 25-30fow.
I know I don't have a lot of experience on the SCR but have many years of Walleye fishing Lake Ontario and St Lawrence river. Guided there for many years.
One thing I have noticed here is that there is a very low number of Gobies in the St Clair as opposed to other sections of the Great Lakes system.
Best Bait this spring has been Silver/Blue, Gold, Silver/Black Bladebaits in 5/8th -3/4oz.
I will say that I want to get down to Lake St Clair to experience the walleye fishing out on the lake trolling Spinners and Crankbaits.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
can not complain yet ,wen we went out we always got our limit ,had to find them first but other than that not to bad .I will go tomorrow morning and report Back. I will fish marine city ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well sorry to say but, I'm glad to here that others that have fished the SCR for years have had some issues catching eye's this year.

This is only my second season fishing it. Mainly I fish up river from about Sombra/Marine City to the mouth of the river at Lake Huron mostly Stag Island area. I fished the South Channel last summer out front of Seaway Island drifting harnesses with quite a few successful days(limits) I usually am fishing on my own.

The depth change that you mentioned is something I have noticed this year, fishing 30 - 45 fow has been the norm for me this spring so far, but last season I found I didn't have to go any deeper than about 25-30fow.

I know I don't have a lot of experience on the SCR but have many years of Walleye fishing Lake Ontario and St Lawrence river. Guided there for many years.

One thing I have noticed here is that there is a very low number of Gobies in the St Clair as opposed to other sections of the Great Lakes system.

Best Bait this spring has been Silver/Blue, Gold, Silver/Black Bladebaits in 5/8th -3/4oz.

I will say that I want to get down to Lake St Clair to experience the walleye fishing out on the lake trolling Spinners and Crankbaits.

Bladebaits for walleye in the river? Do you have days when they work better then your normal jig and plastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bladerunner6,

I fished 3/4oz Jig and FinS minnow from April until about 2 weeks ago. Once the water got over about 53 degrees surface temp.(don't think there is a huge difference in temp from top to bottom due to current and mixing action) I started trying them and found that I could catch fish quicker with them. I believe that it triggers Neutral mood fish that may not show any interest in traditional jig and minnow profile. You must keep them vertical in the water column, and touching bottom is a must with each drop. No difference in size of fish at all but, Perch love them in the river.
Stained to dirty water they shine, but I have to had that situation on the SCR yet.
Do you have any experience with them on Lake St Clair?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bladerunner6,

I fished 3/4oz Jig and FinS minnow from April until about 2 weeks ago. Once the water got over about 53 degrees surface temp.(don't think there is a huge difference in temp from top to bottom due to current and mixing action) I started trying them and found that I could catch fish quicker with them. I believe that it triggers Neutral mood fish that may not show any interest in traditional jig and minnow profile. You must keep them vertical in the water column, and touching bottom is a must with each drop. No difference in size of fish at all but, Perch love them in the river.

Stained to dirty water they shine, but I have to had that situation on the SCR yet.

Do you have any experience with them on Lake St Clair?

I have never used them in lake st Clair before. But I have fished them on the river this year being my first, about two weeks ago I saw a few boats catching more fish then me and noticed they where using blaid baits so I went out and got a few and boated fish with them...I understand the logic behind the blade baits and catching walleye but wasn't sure if it's been a fluke thing or a known tactic on the scr

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have never used them in lake st Clair before. But I have fished them on the river this year being my first, about two weeks ago I saw a few boats catching more fish then me and noticed they where using blaid baits so I went out and got a few and boated fish with them...I understand the logic behind the blade baits and catching walleye but wasn't sure if it's been a fluke thing or a known tactic on the scr
Bladerunner6,
Definitely not a fluke catching Walleye on them as they have been a staple bait of mine for many years. As for a known tactic on the SCR, I have so little experience here that I can only go on what I'm seeing out on the river and I don't see anyone else using them or if I speak to other boats they are usually dragging spinners and worms or using jig and minnow combo. Glad to hear that they are being used out there by others as well.
What general area of the river did you see boats fishing bladebaits in? Just wondering if it was me out there. I'm usually mid river Fawn Island to Stag Island.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
I just picked up a blade bait to try casting from shore when I fish the SCR for walleye. I figure with he sleek profils and the weight they ought to run deep than traditional lipless cranks and hopefully produce more fish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
6667 supersport,
Only species I've caught casting them from shore is White Bass but, given the right spot I'm sure you will have success.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bladerunner6,

Definitely not a fluke catching Walleye on them as they have been a staple bait of mine for many years. As for a known tactic on the SCR, I have so little experience here that I can only go on what I'm seeing out on the river and I don't see anyone else using them or if I speak to other boats they are usually dragging spinners and worms or using jig and minnow combo. Glad to hear that they are being used out there by others as well.

What general area of the river did you see boats fishing bladebaits in? Just wondering if it was me out there. I'm usually mid river Fawn Island to Stag Island.

I generally fish Edison to lake st Clair but When I do see boats jigging blaids it's usually around marine city area

·
Registered
32 Posts
I generally fish Edison to lake st Clair but When I do see boats jigging blaids it's usually around marine city area
Thats good, same area that I'm in then. I will get down to lower river soon and check that out again soon. Take Care, good luck on the water.

·
Administrator
17,590 Posts
Banner year! Close to 200 walleye in the boat so far jigging since late April.
<----<<<

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
6667 supersport,
Only species I've caught casting them from shore is White Bass but, given the right spot I'm sure you will have success.
I catch walleye here and there on Husky Jerks and twisters, but come Fall is the time to cast. Have used rattle traps and caught some walleye too, so the blade bait should work as good or better, since it should ride lower in the water column.

Most of the walleye I catch casting from shore are within 10' of shore usually in 10' of water or less looking for any easy meal along the shoreline. If you have some time one night do a search under SCR casting and you will see the reports or do a search of my reports. Fall time the walleye are (specially the egg carrying females) eating everything in sight and casting is a blast. My favorite kinda fishing. Have caught them to 30 inches, still looking for a 31 or 32 for the wall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts