Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished this morning with my brother and nephew around St. Clair.

Between us we picked up 11 on crawler harnesses. We drifted for most, but did troll for awhile when the south wind picked up.

No one color was really hot...we caught fish on a bunch of different colors. 30 + feet of water seemed the best.

Good Luck!

Registered
Nice going Craves.

I was out early pulling wire,starting about 0330, and boated 9, lost a couple on the flip and left before the presumed ramp madness to come. All six kept were carbon-copy 19 inchers. I found fish in 25-35 fow, with no color/pattern standing out as better than any other.

Registered
Buddy and myself just got back, started at 6:45, caught two a little south of MC launch right around 8:30. 17" and 19". Both jigging nothing after that. Only my 2nd time out on SCR, and the only two times I've targeted walleye, always been a sport fisher, I'd really like to learn how to put some fish in the boat that I can take home. Not giving up on it tho, being out on the river has been great even with no or slow bites. Just being on the water is great. Good luck everyone!

Registered
I started fishing at 10am so that still counts for the morning. Did a big drift down the south channel, fishing a lot of the water for the first time this year. Landed 6, missed a few other good hits, and all but one was on the main hook. Four different colors worked, so not much of a pattern there.

Most of the boats I talked to were surprised to see me jigging and more surprised to hear I was getting a few fish. Most have given up jigging for pulling harnesses.

Registered
I started fishing at 10am so that still counts for the morning. Did a big drift down the south channel, fishing a lot of the water for the first time this year. Landed 6, missed a few other good hits, and all but one was on the main hook. Four different colors worked, so not much of a pattern there.

Most of the boats I talked to were surprised to see me jigging and more surprised to hear I was getting a few fish. Most have given up jigging for pulling harnesses.
Not close to that "time" yet....

Registered

Between us we picked up 11 on crawler harnesses. We drifted for most, but did troll for awhile when the south wind picked up.

No one color was really hot...we caught fish on a bunch of different colors. 30 + feet of water seemed the best.

Good Luck!
What size/style blades were you running? I run #5 Colorado blades and they won鈥檛 spin if I鈥檓 just drifting. I need to go a little faster than the current to get them going. Fished from 6-11 and only boated 2. Wondering if I was going too fast?

Registered
Not close to that "time" yet....
Agreed. The real hot jig bite when 鈥渢he numbers bite鈥 turns on is when the water temps hit 53-54 degrees. With those nice warmer temps you have coming, that should be about another 1 1/2 - 2 weeks .

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Registered
Agreed. The real hot jig bite when 鈥渢he numbers bite鈥 turns on is when the water temps hit 53-54 degrees. With those nice warmer temps you have coming, that should be about another 1 1/2 - 2 weeks .

I just go by time of year, whole month of May into 1st maybe 2nd week of June jig, then crawlers.. I will drag crawlers a couple try's in tournament nxt weekend because they will catch bigger fish "sometimes" but I'll whip all night :) .. #s game/time it takes isn't a comparison though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What size/style blades were you running? I run #5 Colorado blades and they won鈥檛 spin if I鈥檓 just drifting. I need to go a little faster than the current to get them going. Fished from 6-11 and only boated 2. Wondering if I was going too fast?
My boat will usually drift at 2+ mph unless there is any south wind. My boat is a 1675 Lund. I use smaller Colorado blades so they will spin ( I don't know the size ).

I don't like trolling, so if I can drift at 2 to 2.2 mph I usually will catch fish.

Attached is a couple of pictures of harnesses I use:

This was the best one today.

We got one fish on this one and missed a couple. I bought this at Minnoch's on Algonac.

This has been my money harness for the last couple of years!

Good Luck!

Registered
First time ever on scr, got to algonac Wed night. We got a 2 man Thurs, 9 Friday. Both days were 13 hours on the water. It wasn't great by any means. Nothing 1st 2 hours today, so went into the lake. We got most jigging, got a couple on harnesses, but never felt like we were on bottom correctly, even bought some 4 & 5 oz bottom bouncers. Looking forward to hitting sag bay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First time ever on scr, got to algonac Wed night. We got a 2 man Thurs, 9 Friday. Both days were 13 hours on the water. It wasn't great by any means. Nothing 1st 2 hours today, so went into the lake. We got most jigging, got a couple on harnesses, but never felt like we were on bottom correctly, even bought some 4 & 5 oz bottom bouncers. Looking forward to hitting sag bay.
I use 2oz. bottom bouncers.

I use bait caster reels on some old poles that most of you would laugh at! ( I do have a Ugly Stik and a Black Max!).

My best advise is to really pay attention when you lowering the bottom bouncer...as soon as you hit bottom, let out another 1 to 2' of line and set your line. Be sure to note what depth you were at when it hit bottom then adjust accordingly as the depth may change on your drift.

Good Luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sitting in the boat in the garage straightening things up...Size 3 was working today.

I got these at Northwoods in Pinconning a couple of years ago, not sure if they still carry these.

Registered
Son and I fished from 615 to about 10. Got 3 walleye in the first 15 minutes and thought we were on our way to an easy limit day. Then I once again hooked a sturgeon. I seemed to be able to move this one right away and I thought it must be smaller. It must have just been sleepy because then it really started to run, and took me upstream and back and forth. Half hour later and he broke off at my leader, but I did get him close enough to see him at least.

After that things slowed down and we picked away at them and ended up with 4 each. All but two on the stinger. No fish in the boat after 9.

I did have a guy coming up on plane, and then I hooked up. He immediately slowed down and pulled right in front of me. And got a good view of me landing a sucker.

Green/Ice and a Arkansas shiner bondy bait did the best for us.

Registered

Good Luck!
Went out of MC. Started around 7 and finished up a 2 man about 1:30. 30-35 ft. Hammered blade with purple & white beads caught 7. Painted Chartuse caught 5 and a sucker. Old style trolling motor set at 1 kept us just ahead of the current and the blades spinning until the south wind started. Then we had to go to 2. Brother and niece got 8 and 2 coho. Sliver blade and blue and again chartuse. A couple 16-17 inches but most where 19 to 21 inches. Upstream on the MC launch.

Registered
Agreed. The real hot jig bite when 鈥渢he numbers bite鈥 turns on is when the water temps hit 53-54 degrees. With those nice warmer temps you have coming, that should be about another 1 1/2 - 2 weeks

Looking at the forecast, that might happen by next weekend.

I鈥檓 getting ready for 55+ temps
Wood Recreation Flooring Toy Gas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.