Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation...

Our gorup rented a cabin from Oct 15-Nov 30 in curtis, mi (U.P.) with priorities being firearms deer season with some duck and grouse hunting mixed in. I just got back from a 4 day scouting weekend and I'm not optimistic with what i've seen so far in the areas I looked at. I know we've only had 4 days in the woods up there but we put on lots of miles with very, very little deer sign. I found lots of areas I think deer should be based on bedding cover close to food sources, etc but actual sign of deer inhabiting these areas was almost non-existant. 3 deer seen total this weekend in the woods, 1 kicked up during afternoon walking/scouting and 2 on an evening sit we scouted a few days earlier.

What do you guys look for when scouting a new area? Most guys we hunt with don't want to go into cedar swamps or similar thick areas but I feel we'd see more activity there...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
150 Posts
we have a cabin in Wetmore, near Munising. We hunt strictly cedar swamps and the ridges boardering them with good success.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a few large cedar swamps from driving 2-tracks that I marked on my atlas which I will be scouting this weekend. I love hunting in/around the cedar swamp. Unfortunately, some guys in my camp probably won't so I'm trying to accomidate everyone with some areas with longer visibility i.e. hardwoods, open fields, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have hunted big woods in the UP since I turned 14 and and (at least where I am at) there is no defined feeding area or bedding area. What I can say is that almost without fail the deer will travel along the borders of one type of cover and another. Find the area where the cedar swamp butts up to a hardwood ridge or a spruce thicket and walk it. There may not be a ton of sign but you can usually pick out the deer trails and then just follow them and find an area where they cut other trails coming out of the swamp and set up a stand. We have had good luck doing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts