Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
3,664 Posts
Little video of some ducks before three split. It was really something to watch therm loaf and interact, especially through the drone. The excitement of this kept us warm throughout the day

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Well done Jerrit. Cool drone footy. Look forward to more next year

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done Jerrit. Cool drone footy. Look forward to more next year
Thank ya - grabbed about 20 minutes of the birds from about 75 feet above - It really brought into light the need for over-head cover. (No matter how far back in the reeds)
Sadly, had to call the morning a bit early after six greenheads due to a broken beer bottle along the river that prematurely ended my boy's season... I went back and found the bottle and threw it away; but cant say that this is the first time to happen on public...
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
And I couldn't exit the door this morning without him hobbling and wanting to load up. So I carried him to the truck and we watched a local lake fill up with birds. We will make up the time he missed in late goose.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor guy! My chessie ripped the webbing in one of his paws early season- hard to get out the door without him while he healed. Pretty cool you scooped him up and brought him along anyways.
The carry was a lot shorter than the one to get him out of the woods. About 300-yards shorter! Haha. The experience is just not the same without them.

· Registered
54 Posts
All this year while scouting I was thinking how helpful it would be to do aerial scouting from my truck instead of having to walk 20 minutes just to find no birds in my holes.

What kind of drone did you use for this? I've been contemplating a DJI Mavic for it's quality of footage and portability.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I didn't want to be the one to say it and I could be wrong but thanks to Rick Snyder I believe using drones to help in the taking of game in any way is not legal.

I know a few states have banned it.

Cool footage, correct me if I'm wrong .

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Sounds pretty grey since we all know scouting is with Intent to get under birds to harvest.....

Not trying to create Enemies just curious

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't want to be the one to say it and I could be wrong but thanks to Rick Snyder I believe using drones to help in the taking of game in any way is not legal.

I know a few states have banned it.

Cool footage, correct me if I'm wrong .

You are correct, "To take game". Which none were, Talked with our local CO about it and showed him the drone.

Now if i strapped tomahawk missiles to it and attempted to get some dog fights under my belt, it would be a whole other story! Haha.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
You are correct, "To take game". Which none were, Talked with our local CO about it and showed him the drone.

Now if i strapped tomahawk missiles to it and attempted to get some dog fights under my belt, it would be a whole other story! Haha.

Still a lazy approach... takes away from the actual sport and conservation....

Kinda disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All this year while scouting I was thinking how helpful it would be to do aerial scouting from my truck instead of having to walk 20 minutes just to find no birds in my holes.

What kind of drone did you use for this? I've been contemplating a DJI Mavic for it's quality of footage and portability.
Dont be too fooled, still a lot of boot miles put on.. But im sure itll work. And you are spot on it is the Mavic. I small, portable and the camera is great!

· Registered
13,994 Posts
Yes, cool video. As far as legality, I think it depends which CO, or which DNR administrator, that you talk to. The wildlife conservation order states that you cannot use "aircraft" to "aid in the taking of game". Obviously that rule has been in place for years for conventional aircraft. However "Aircraft" is not defined in the WCO, and I'm guessing some CO's, and/or some judges, would consider a drone an aircraft. I may be wrong. This is a really good question.

· Registered
13,994 Posts
I seem to recall some were starting to use drones for deer scouting, and some of the deer organizations got bent outta shape over it. Who knows? I'm surprised no one is calling the "unethical" card on scouting with a drone, legal or not. Think about it...some places are nearly impossible to get to by foot, quad, boat, etc. But with a drone? Easy peasy. So some are sure to call this unethical. But like I said...a great question.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.