Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replied to the other thread but thought I'd post this as a new one to bring it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy a plat book. It will give you an idea of who owns it before going up to the door. I am blessed to have plenty of areas to hunt around my house. I went with a friend on Sunday and was fortunate to pick another 200 plus acres. The one farmer said "How many can you shoot in a day?" Name drop if you know someone in the area. Good references go a long way in small communities. Tell them that you just want to goose hunt. Deer privileges are much more highly guarded. If you are going to goose hunt during deer season tell them you won't if someone is deer hunting. I find giving homemade stuff goes a long way. Giving fish or meat is nice but they still have to cook it. A rhubarb pie in a tin pan, so they don't have to return it, or muffins, homemade jam, coffe cake have been most appreciated. One thing I have learned and always remember when talking to farmers is that there is one thing they have plenty of......... pride. Offering money, gift certificates, per hunter fees in my opinion not what they are about. There are farmers out there that have gone into the hunting business but again I have been fortunate to have the opportunities that I do.

One place we went on Sunday had about 75 acres in stubble. He didn't think he wanted anyone hunting by the house. I told him we'd be in the middle of the field where the geese would land easier. He said no still. He has a bunch of beagles and I asked him if he hunted rabbits? He was at a field trial that morning. I invited him to hunt with me and with his dogs at property that I manage. I told him that the rabbits are there it's just that the cover I've planted is "too good" to hunt effectively by yourself. He said he'd love to run his dogs there. He doesn't even need to hunt. He said he would see if the farmer who works his field minded if we hunt there and to come back before the season opened.

I have never paid a dime to hunt geese but with building good relationships in the area I again am blessed with about 1000 acres to hunt within a 5 mile radius of my house. The furthest I have driven to hunt was 4.7 miles and that was on state land.

Good luck to everyone this season,

Ken

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have never paid a dime to hunt geese but with building good relationships in the area I again am blessed with about 1000 acres to hunt within a 5 mile radius of my house. The furthest I have driven to hunt was 4.7 miles and that was on state land.

Good luck to everyone this season,

Ken
I pay $15 a year to lease thousands of acres. Well worth it.

Also helps to stay close to home. Much easier to introduce yourself and let them know you live right down the road or just on the other side of town. I know a lot of farmers will deny out of towners.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts